[DML] Re: Unprotected DeLorean Ignition Circuit

[DML] Re: Unprotected DeLorean Ignition Circuit

Farrar,

The problem not necessarily has to be caused by the plug gaps.
I do did change the coil and wires (coil: Pertronix 40kV, cables MSD
8.5mm) and regapped the plugs according to Bill's suggestions
(some .06mm if I recall correctly).
Anyway up to the moment of the accident I did over 6000 km (approx
3800 miles) without problems like yours.

Must have been a coincidence (Murphy's law?).
Perhaps some internal connections in the distributor sparking?

Welmoed.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Farrar <fhudkins@...> wrote:

> Several months ago, the aux relay was removed to ensure that the
> ignition coil was getting 12 volts not only during cranking but
during
> other vehicle operation.
>
> A few months ago, I replaced the car's spark plugs, I replaced the
> original ignition coil with an MSD "Blaster 2" coil, replaced the
spark
> plug wires with MSD wires, and bought a new cap and rotor. Apart
from
> the spark plugs, all of these supplies I got from John Hervey, and
they
> all performed fine.
>
> The work done to the car a few weeks ago -- just prior to
Gettysburg --
> was installation of a new fuel pump, fuel line, fuel filter, intake
> manifold, and carburetor. We also replaced some coolant and vacuum
lines
> while we were in The Valley. Also, in order to take advantage of
the
> high voltage setup, the spark plugs were re-gapped: from the stock
gap
> of .028" up to .050". About 1600 highway miles later, the
distributor
> cap caught fire.
>
> I don't think we'll ever know what caused the fire, but the most
likely
> candidate would seem to be the extra-wide spark plug gap. When I
replace
> the distributor, cap, rotor, and wires, I'll re-gap the plugs down
> closer to .040". The plugs are only a few months old and they're in
fine
> shape.
>
> Meanwhile, I have named my car "Sparky." :)
>
> Farrar Hudkins

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: