Re: [DML] DSC West, the DOA, and the future.

its yours
One down and 20 to go

In a message dated 06/20/08 22:33:53 Eastern Daylight Time, delorean@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Can I be "Chairmen of photography"? ;)

Kevin Abato
VIN# 16680
www.grenexmedia.com

-----Original Message-----
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm@xxxxxxxx>

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:44:26
To:"dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [DML] DSC West, the DOA, and the future.

We're getting too many Kens on these lists!

First off, I'm the lead on DCS West. Ken K gets to take it easier for once. He's still the Executive Producer, but I'm the Director. You'll find my style differs from Ken K in many ways. I prefer to use a top down structure with Chairmen for each section of the show. The chairman are in charge of their specific events and run those items the way they see fit. They have their own volunteers and are responsible for seeing that tasks get done and nobody gets stuck bearing the whole load. The volunteers want to enjoy the show too! Ken K would ask for volunteers and many would stand up. But it looks like when the time came to work, many of those same people vanished, leaving Ken and the remaining volunteers to do everything. My Chairmen will come from the clubs and the core DCS people. Volunteers for day-of event tasks will report to them. The Chairmen will meet monthly (virtual meetings, of course) and will report to the group on their section, that way everyone has the big picture and gaps will be seen and filled. I will determine the positions and structure the event.

DCS West is something Ken K and I have been working on for several years. We were planning our first 'West' show starting in 2005, with plans to do the Vegas show in 2007. I was just starting discussions with the AZ and LV folk when in Chicago, 'Sasha' of the DOA gets up and announces their Las Vegas show at about the same time as the DMCH Open House. We were still planning on a fall timeline, but that's 2 events in the same year at the same place. I was ticked, Ken K was ticked, and the AZ folk went nuts. So we decided to stand back and wait. We were early in our preparations and didn't want competing events. We couldn't believe that the DOA would move to have an event in the backyard of club as strong as AZ-D and not even approach them. Their show collapsed. Now I see they're 'planning' a 2009 show. Didn't we just go through this?

I don't know how many of you know I put on a gullwing car show in 2001 (see link below). I believed that we could have a strong showing on the West Coast and wanted to start small and see how it played. It turned out great and showed that I could handle the logistics of an elaborate auto event. I've coordinated bicycle centuries and other large events for many years, so I've had a good deal of experience working with venues and lots of volunteers and vendors, and even a few whiny actors (from my days putting on Science Fiction conventions). One of the amazing things about that show was many members of the DOA helped me put on the event. Even Ed B. came - the only time I know of when he attended a non-DOA show. So the DOA folk HAVE been good guys, which is why I won't totally write them off.

Bottom line: I think we'll have a fantastic event. I hope people will have a great time and come away feeling more informed and a little bit prouder about being a DeLorean owner.

Link to 2001 show:
http://www.ncdmc.org/carshow/2001wrapup.htm

Ken *Montgomery*
Ken Montgomery, Sacramento CA - VIN #10911 'OUTTIME' & VIN 05794
http://www.time-traveler.org/delorean/
mailto:kenm@xxxxxxxx
Lead promoter for DCS West: http://www.dcswest.org
President, Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://www.ncdmc.org
http://www.dmcnews.com mailto:directory@xxxxxxxxxxx

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional