[DML] Re: Spinning screws in trunk

Whatever you do DO NOT after grinding them down try to pull the
remains out of the fiberglass black body,as the unseen half is
compressed(or was compressed)against the back side of the
fiberglass,in other words the unseen side is NOW bigger than the hole
itself,Once it is compressed,any attempt to pull out the rivitnut
WILL damage the fiberglass.
Your ONLY choice is to push them inwards(or downwards),this applies
mostly to the rivitnuts that are rivited to the parts of the
blackbody where the backside of the rivitnut is Not exposed,but
inside the blackbody.Since of course the ones with the exposed
backsides can just drop off,Once you grind down the rivitnut lip.

I found it less work using a hand held Die grinder with a small
cutoff wheel,(I like using the air powered type)I would simply cut
the head off the bolt,then grind down the lip on the Rivitnut,

Harbor Freight sells the RivitNut Gun and Rivitnuts,BUT they are
American Standard and will NOT accept metric bolts,no big deal
since "we are" in America.

Claude

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Soma576@... wrote:

> Hey Group,
>
> A semi-local owner trailered a non-running DeLorean?to?my house for
basic restoration i.e. get it running again and reliable.? Nothing I
haven't already done on my own car.? However, on this car, nearly all
of the screws that hold the brake cylinder access panel to the trunk
floor are stripped and spinning in the rivnuts.? I can turn them with
vice-grips but the rivnuts are frozen to the screws.? I suppose I
will have to grind off the heads and drill out the rivnuts, but how
does one replace the rivnuts?? Is there a special tool?? Haven't had
to deal with this issue before.

> Thanks,
>
> Andy Lien

<*> Your email settings: