[DML] Re: National Delorean Group

*dusts off keyboard*

The problem with a National Club of any kind is that there is
absolutely no system of checks and balances. We run the risk of
another DOA situation. Egos flare, and what information that is
exchanged becomes heavily censured at best, or outright cut off
depending upon who wants what to be said to further their own ends.

I could certainly post some anecdotal data here, but the fact is that
with the DOA there were not only a huge clash of opinions, but also
conflicts of interest. Early magazines were certainly helpful with
articles directed twords DIY'ers, but these types of articles rapidly
disappeared as time went on. Some say it was due to a combination
stale material (how much tech can you write about a single car model
of over the span of decades) and changing owner interests (as people
get older, they become less physically active and want to travel
more). I don't believe that to be correct at all. What I believe is
the idea that the DOA wanted to be the end-all-be-all source for
information to both dictate repairs as well as to work in the best
interests of one specific vendor. Speaking with people off-list over
the years, and hearing about everything from personal rifts where
people were driven away from active participation to outright lawsuits
to try and silence others... Yes, I'm more likely to believe the 2nd
item. Yeah as people get older their interests may change, but there
is still a significant turnover in vehicle ownership with new people
who have those new interests that the previous people may have lost.

Now, if there was to be any sort of "organization" on a national
level, you are absolutely correct that it needs to act as a portal.
You do NOT want any one group of people to act as an authority to
dictate anything to others. What is needed here is a Cooperative. Take
in information, and distribute it back. Direct people to local clubs,
and serve those that do not have access to any. But most importantly
it needs to be made up of a diverse board of delegates. What the needs
and interests of people in California are will not be the same as
those in Tennessee, nor Florida, Texas, New York, etc. People in the
Southwestern deserts need focus on how to upgrade their cars cooling
systems, whereas the Pacific Northwest needs to know how to keep their
cars waterproofed. And I don't just mean to tell people to refer to
certain tech bullitins and telling them to buy parts. But actual tips
and tricks that while they may be unorthidox, they get the damn job done.

More importantly what needs to be done is every club, regardless of
proximity to a DMC service center, needs both a technical director as
well as a historian. Have that one person who is a go-to to both get
those Tech Days organized, as well as to educate owners on how to be
more self-reliant. Historical directors are needed to not just keep
people in the know about current goings-on, but about past events for
the history of the car. Educated owners are better owners IMO, because
they keep the public more informed and they strengthen their bonds
with their cars. Now that may sound silly, but try encountering an
owner who minimal problems with their car, yet doesn't fully enjoy the
ownership experience because they're not fully aware of their cars.
Plus historians can help to distribute information to the press and
general public during events shows and happenings. The National
Organization would need to help bring everyone together for on-line
meetings and collaborations.

Where a museum would be located physically, who knows. Besides that,
how many people would actually go and visit it? I think a traveling
display at the shows is best. Yeah you worry about people not
attending or not allowing parts of their collections to attend, but
that's to be sorted out later.

I like the DML, and before my hiatus I always found it to be the best
source for information. Though I know it still doesn't take the place
of physical interactions with others. But what I can say is that
recently I've been skimming around posts here, on DMCTalk, and DMC
Help...and I'm really disappointed. There is a vacuum of basic
knowledge that needs to seriously be filled. People have always asked
questions, and will always continue to do so, but I've never seen
anything like this. 3 main message boards have fragmented people into
clicks and have helped to stymie the exchange of information and
ideas. A National Organization is needed to unite people and break
down these digital barriers that have been created. I see the same
seperate groups of people post on these boards and isolate themselves
from everyone. One person on DMC Help has a question, and the answer
is over on DMCTalk. Likewise on both boards someone asks a question,
and no one realizes that the DML archives hold the answers they need.
It's a shame.

And as far as the DOA taking over anything, just let it go. They're a
dead organization who have come to represent and stand for negativity.
Sure they may not have started that way, but it's what those 3 little
letters have come to mean for allot of people. You wouldn't sell off
an entire herd of cattle to pay the vet bills for one mean, sickly
heffer that's dying. You'd let it die, and that's exactly what needs
to be done with the DOA. A fresh organization starts off with new
faces, attitudes, and open minds. The DOA has burned so many people in
the past that most of their efforts to organize something of this
magnitude would be PR to clean up their image. And still yet it
wouldn't win everyone over. That many people have been burned. Still
yet when they've had their opportunity to start fresh, they still just
have reverted back to their old ways. A magazine that doesn't even
address the car, but lifestyles for only a certain demographic of
owners, unanswered e-mails, slow shipping of magazine bundles, etc.
Just get over them, and start fresh.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...> wrote:

> I DO see a need for a National Delorean group. It would be an umbrella
> organization made up of all of the regional clubs. It's main purposes
> would be for archival and coordination needs. It would be a non-profit
> organization and would run a Delorean museum with tax-exempt status.
> it would oversee the Concours rules. It would be the portal to all
> things Delorean with listings and links to all of the vendors and
> regional groups. It would accumulate all of the technical knowledge
> and could also cover the DoD. Not unlike what many other car Marques
> have done. With all of the things I saw in Ken's museum at DCS'08 it
> looks like we could have a good start. The biggest problem would be
> raising the funds to get a permanant home. I have ideas about some
> possable locations. The National group could also help decide (with
> Ken of course) where future National Delorean shows would be. It does
> NOT have to be the DOA but then again it could.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional