Re: [DML] Re: Running hot when it's hot out

Re: [DML] Re: Running hot when it's hot out

> Some things to check:
> Test the thermostat to see that it opens at 185

I'll give this a shot this weekend.  I've replaced it previously, but
I didn't test the original at the time.  I'll do a proper test on this
one.

> Check the timing and mechanical and vacuum advance

I'm afraid that I don't actually know how to do this.  However, I had
it at PJ Grady last fall and Rob fixed a bunch of issues, including
completely screwed up timing (it was something like 40 degrees off of
where it should have been).

> What is your gas mileage? If it is below 20 MPG something is bad.

At the moment I'm not sure, since my angle drive failed. :)  In
general, though, it's closer to 15-18 MPG, but I have not been able to
run any tests on it since I got it back from Rob in November.

> Brakes dragging, engine not right, etc.

I do have an interesting issue where, once the car has been driven for
a bit, if you let it coast down from 30-40 MPH to a point where the
engine has dropped below ~900 RPMs, sometimes the car starts to begin
to slow more rapidly, as though the brakes had been lightly applied.
I'm hoping to get the car down to PJ Grady in the near future to get
this checked out.

> Is anything blocking the air intake to the radiator like a license
> plate?

Yes, there is a license plate mounted on the front of the car via a
bracket that attaches to the existing bolts, with the top two holes of
the plate mounted on the bracket, thus resulting in the plate blocking
the radiator.

When I was looking at it just now, I realized that there is no reason
I couldn't mount the plate from the bottom two holes, thus placing it
in front of the bumper and leaving the radiator unobstructed.  I have
no idea why I didn't realize this before.  I'm betting that's how I
was supposed to mount it, too.  It is now in this configuration, so
hopefully I'll get at least a little better cooling now, and I don't
have to worry about bending the license plate when I hit steep
driveways.  Thanks!

> Is your coolant 50/50 soft water and permanant type anti-freeze?

Yes.

> Pressure test your radiator cap.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, or how I'd do it.

> Is there a spring inside your suction hose feeding the water pump? If
> it's missing the hose could be kinking under high speeds and high flow
> rates.

I have no idea.  How would I tell? (Meaning, how much of the engine do
I have to take apart to tell?)

> Is there any debris caught between the radiator and the
> condensor coil blocking air?

I just checked.  Various fins on the radiator are bent, but none
appear to be obstructed to any significance (there's the stray small
pebble, but that's about it).  I can't see anything between the
condenser coil and the radiator, but I was just looking through the
front screen; I have not attempted to remove it from the car to be
certain.

> Could the vee belt be slipping on the water pump?

I don't think it is; it seems to be appropriately tight.

Thanks!

-- Joe

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional