Re: [DML] Running hot when it's hot out

> Seems like you may have a bad heater core(restriction or partial
> blockage),since this is part of the cooling system(and most likely
> orignal)

I believe it is original.  As I understand it, the heater core runns
hot coolant through a maze of pipes not unlike that of a radiator,
which in turn heats the air blowing from the fresh air vents into the
cabin when the A/C mode switch is set to "Heater", right?

> it just might be causing a blockage in your cooling
> systen...not enough to cause problems on cool days...but on the
> really hot days,it may be slowing down the flow of coolant thru the
> system,(if there is a blockage or restriction) if possible try
> disconnecting the heater core(by putting a by pass tube)and if
> everything seems fine then you know that is your problem.

Would this involve taking apart the dash as well?  I'm certainly
willing to give it a try.

Also, how would I know if I'm getting proper flow through the cooling
system?  Is there any way to actually check that?  Some place I can
mount a gauge or visually inspect or whatnot?  What is the proper flow?

> If you
> cannot do that,then run the heater fan at full speed to see if the
> Temperature drops(a good idea to do on any Delorean that starts to
> overheat)If the Temp drops to normal or close to normal,then you know
> for sure that is your problem.

Next time it happens I'll give it a go.  The soonest I'll be able to
try taking anything apart is this coming weekend, but I might get to
try the heater thing today or tomorrow, should he car start to
overheat again.

> PS...heater cores on a Delorean require you to basically take your
> dash/interior.passanger seat/carpet,console etc, all apart to
> replace...A.P.I.T.A. to replace.

Hopefully it's not the heater core then. :)  I have been meaning to
learn how to do take all that stuff apart, though.  It'll give me a
chance to clean out that evaporator box, close up any leaks in the
vents, replace any bad vacuum lines, and whatever else I can think of
while I'm in there.

Thanks!

-- Joe

<*> Your email settings: