Re: [DML] Running hot when it's hot out

>  Daryl: How long has you car been doing this? Is it recent or right
> after the engine rebuild?

Sorry; "rebuild" was a strong word.  That was about 5 years ago, and
it was mostly replacing the 25 year old rubber hoses with silicone
ones.  I admit I'm not ENTIRELY sure what was done;  when I first got
the DeLorean I had local mechanics do most of the work, and only in
the last couple of years have I been learning how to do more of the
work myself.  I haven't gone so far as to take apart the engine,
though; the most I've done is replace the plugs, injectors and
thermostat myself, and occasionally replaced some parts attached to
the engine like the alternator, WUR and starter.

I got the car 5 years ago.  It had been in storage for around a decade
or so before then.  As such, it always had cooling problems,
particularly in the summer.  As per my previous email, I've had
basically every part of the cooling system replaced, so I'm at a loss
as to what is causing the current problem.

It is worth noting that I mostly see these issues when driving at
highway speeds, at which point the temp will get as high as the first
red line (240 degrees), and sometimes a little higher.  After getting
off the highway, it'll drop down to 220 at surface street speeds, and
often lower when if I stop and idle for a while.  However, although I
have gone out and had no problem with the engine temperature while
driving just on surface streets on one day, on another day of similar
driving it might act up and go up towards ~220.

>  Daryl: Are you sure that both of your fans are coming on?

Yes; I have Fanzilla and I can hear each fan come on separately.  But
that shouldn't really matter if I'm driving at highway speeds, right?
My understanding is that the fans are mostly there to blow air over
the radiator when you aren't moving very quickly.

>  Paul: Are the fans running in the correct rotation?

As far as I know the fans are going in the correct direction, but I
can't say for sure.  I believe they are original and have not been
replaced.

>  Daryl: Is the engine belt for the pump properly tightened (i.e. not
> slipping on the pump pulley)?

Yes; I checked it and it seems nice and tight, and there is good flow
visible in the coolant bottle.  The belt is in good condition and does
not appear to be slipping.

>  Daryl: Are you sure the water pump is pumping as it should?

Pretty sure.  I'm basing this mostly on the stream of coolant I see
pouring into the expansion bottle when the car is at operating temp.

Also, today I took the car out and it was great; about 85 degrees, and
the engine temp never went over 190 or so (driving ~15 miles, with a
point where I was waiting with the car idling for about 10 minutes).

>  Daryl: Just some questions to help point you in the right direction.

Thanks Paul and Daryl!

-- Joe

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional