[DML] Re: Practical Delorean Valve Adjusting Procedures for the Novice

[DML] Re: Practical Delorean Valve Adjusting Procedures for the Novice

There are many ways to do some procedures such as adjusting the
valves. An experienced mechanic usually has several "tricks up his
sleeve". I suggested this particular method since he was having a hard
time understanding the procedure in the book and identifying the
valves and cylinders. If one valve in a cylinder is open then it is a
fairly safe bet the other is closed! The method in the book can be
faster because at one position of the crankshaft you can adjust
several valves at one time. Since time is of no importance to most of
us the method described is more fool-proof. Working in a garage that
is not usually level means pushing the car won't work, especially if
it is an automatic. The most important things are:
1) You MUST adjust the valves COLD
2) Do not mix up the exhaust and intake clearances (the're different)
3) Do not try to adjust a valve that is open any amount
The order you do it is of no importance (as far as the valve clearance
is concerned). Usually you will only find 1 or maybe 2 that actually
require adjustment.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@...> wrote:

> Sorry, but the whole "rotate the engine a bit and pick a valve to
> adjust" is more than slightly hit and miss. There is a perfectly good
> procedure to follow:
>
> To rotate the engine avoiding taking the exhaust off to access the
> crankshaft nut, the easiest method is to put the car in 5th and push
it.
> On a flat surface, one person can do this. If it's an auto, then it is
> possible to rotate the engine using the alternator nut if you take out
> the spark plugs.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: