[DML] Update on #2613 (was: a/c vacuum access)

[DML] Update on #2613 (was: a/c vacuum access)

I hung a trouble light in the passenger footwell in order to see where
any vacuum lines could have gone astray, stuck my head in the driver's
footwell, and lo and behold I discovered my problem: the rubber boot,
attached to which were four of five vacuum lines, had come undone from
the mode switch. Fortunately everything was numbered.

When I started removing the console, I noticed that the nut-like object
that prevents the driver from shifting from Park without the knob
pressed was askew. I re-seated it, and the button has regained its function.

I removed the right-side driver's knee pad so that I could cross my
right arm over my left so that I could get both hands into the left
back-side of the console. With the help of a gripping snake I located
the vacuum line that was no longer connected to the boot and connected
it. Then, I attached the boot to the mode switch. (Thank goodness both
are numbered!)

As the French would say, "et voila!" The car now has wonderful air
conditioning and no more hissing sounds coming from behind the console.
The car even managed to start, shakily, after having sat for the better
part of two weeks.

No word yet as to whether that misplaced hose was the vacuum leak that
caused the car's high idle. I'll let you know, but I doubt it.

Farrar Hudkins
#2613 (auto)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional