Re: [DML] Ouch! Tie Rods Ends 1 - Tom 0

You need a screw type ball joint splitter - like ebay item 150242242313

Mine is almost identical to this one, except that I've ground down the
"prongs" of the fork in order to fit better under a DeLorean tie rod
end. I've also ground down the top prong to fit under the angle drive
nut and allow me to remove a lower ball joint without taking the angle
drive out ;-)

Martin

Tom Tait wrote:
> OK, Maybe we are tied 1-1...
>
> I'm mid-way through replacing my steering rack.  The rack is still in the car, mounts removed, bolts off the steering knuckle threads and I used a "pickle fork" to pop the passenger side tie rod end loose, no problem.  The drivers side has kicked my butt.
>
> I have applied wd40, freeze off, heat, and I've tried hammering with the nut over the top of the threads to protect them.  I've lifted the suspension a bit with the jack and cranked the steering to the right and the left a bit to try to change the angle/stress on the joint.  Nothing budges at all.  The second round of the fight was running long...
>
> Using the tie rod end seperator, I drove the wedge in as far as it would humanly go, and then started pushing down on it to to pop it loose.  Finally I put most of my weight on it.  The tool slipped loose and my face came down and hit the fender full force.  Pretty stars swirling.  No blood or broken bones/cartilidge, but I do have a bit of a shiner.  And the tie rod is still firmly wedged into the knuckle.  I even went back a few hours later and worked on it some more - no joy.
>
> The car is rather useless without steering.  What's next?
>
> Tom

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: