[DML] A COUPLE OF STRANGE QUESTIONS

First, thanks to David T. for his inputs on my offline
questions.

Second, Josh P's car ran under it's own power this
weekend, not great, but it did run!!

Now, here's my questions----Is there any way to check
the frequency valve??  Last year it was buzzing when
we finally got it started, but nothing this weekend.
I put an ohmeter directly across the terminals and
read 1.8 ohms.  I had a spare that I also checked and
it read 1.9 ohms.  If I apply 12 volts to the
terminals, will I fry the unit??  None of my diagrams
show what the voltage is between the lambda and the
main fuel relay, which is where those two leads for
the valve originate.

Next---when I first turned the key to the "on"
position, my idiot lites lit up as advertised.  Upon
starting, the battery light did not extinguish and I
showed no voltage production on the voltmeter gage,
only battery voltage.  The car has a Motorola
alternator, (I think, since it has no stickers or
markings anywhere, but it matches the diagram in the
manual).  David suggested I swap the sensor lead (the
brown/yellow wire) at the alternator connection.  This
I did and when I turned the key to on, I had
'no' battery light and read battery voltage.  When I
started the car, the battery light remained out and I
was producing 13+ volts on the voltmeter.  I examined
both plastic plates where the wire could connect on
the alternator and one is marked "D+" and the other is
"W", neither on of which is in the diagram.  Any ideas
on this problem??

Lastily, this car has it's original radio and after a
thorough check out, it worked like a champ, using a
battery hooked directly to it while I was rewiring the
car.  When I orginally started it, the clock in the
faceplate was working as advertised, but I did not
check the radio operation.  After swapping the
alternator brown/yellow connection, I had no clock
function and the radio did not work.  The antenna did
go up and down as advertised when the switch was
turned on.  Thoughts on this one??

Finally, since this is turning into a book, and I know
someone will ask (Elvis :-) comes to mind), this car,
known as Beastie Boy has been a total rebuild.  The
PO, and I use the term loosily, screwed with
everything he could, to include wiring, fuel, vacuum,
suspension, and just about anything he could get his
hands on.  The only thing I don't think he messed with
is the fuel filler cap.

Mike   TPS   1630 & BB

Be a better friend, newshound, and

<*> Your email settings: