[DML] Re: Window Motor update!

Hello,
That motor looks like what I just bought from
deloreanupgradeparts.com.  I figured all the aftermarket window
motors are this style.  Is that wrong?  It works great so far, though
looking through the pictures mine mounted in a little different.  One
hole forward on the door handle bracket I believe (if I followed the
directions properly).
Steven Clark
3316

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Sean" <sweitzel@...> wrote:

> That's exactly what I did to both of my motors on #3231 a few years
> ago. Glad it worked out for you.
> Speaking of look-alike motors, This past year I was restoring #6597
> for a family friend. When I took apart the passenger door I
discovered
> a very strangely shaped regulator assembly. It definitely is not
> factory. Has anyone ever seen one like this? Pix at the link below:
>
> http://www.lffltd.dreamhosters/com/dmc
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ed B." <mr.pants@> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks to those who responded with tips & help.  There are many
> > look-a-like motors from Bosch, and I actually have a couple of
older
> > Audi motor/regulators lying around which I was hoping I could use
> > [electrical connectors are different, but easy enough to splice
into],
> > but the mounting tabs are different heights than the one used
with the
> > DeLorean.  Also, I am unsure if the worm-gears are all the same
> > pitch/thread, etc.  Anyway...  here's the update on the window
> motor, if
> > anyone's interested:
> >
> > I removed the actual motor from the gear/cable unit (two screws
> securing
> > the motor here) and I noticed that inside was pretty rusty and
there
> was
> > one broken solder joint.  I cleaned everything up with electrical
> > contact cleaner and a small, stiff brush, re-soldered the broken
joint
> > (touched-up the others while I was at it), put a little graphite
lube
> > everywhere, sparingly, and rotated the worm gear by hand until
all felt
> > nice and smooth.  Connected 12VDC and presto - working good as
new.  I
> > re-installed the motor, connected power and tested OK, but the
assembly
> > still was sticky.  I lubed the rails and cable assembly, and now
I have
> > a working window once again.  A LOT easier and than doing the
entire
> > regulator assembly.
> >
> > This is likely not a lasting solution, however, so I went ahead
and
> > bought a replacement "new-style" regulator, just in case.  I'm
> hoping to
> > sell the DMC this year, and the only thing wrong with the car was
that
> > damn window motor -- certainly didn't want to burden a potential
new
> > owner with fixing a window, so all is well now and later, if need
be.

> > Thanks again...
> > - ed
> > --