[DML] Re: What to do with flaked epoxy in concealed areas of frame?

[DML] Re: What to do with flaked epoxy in concealed areas of frame?

Did you actually find any rust or rusted out areas,or was it just
surface rust,if all you found was surface rust,then as long as you do
not drive it in the winter,you should be all right.

If it really concerns you about trapping moisture or water in the
boxed in areas,then I would suggest drilling drain holes in the boxed
in areas,so that it will self drain(as you drive) and vent air in the
boxed areas,the real major area to worry about for rust is the front
of the car,and in the area where the gas tank is,but that involves
removing the tank,as water/sand/debris tend to get stuck in that area
and tends to rust out the frame in that area.All delorean owners
should remove the tank cover at least once every five years to clean
out that area,and check for any rust buildup.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet@...> wrote:

> I spent most of today chipping and scraping off loose epoxy from my
> frame, and a good sized area of soft bubbled epoxy from an old
brake
> fluid leake by the previous owner about 4 years ago.  I have
prepped
> the exposed rust with the POR-15 kit, and ready to apply the POR-15
> tomorrow to the rusty areas, then will touch up with the Krylon.  I
> have a concern for areas where I got a finger or tool inside and
> flaked off huge pieces of epoxy, especially in the rear area of the
> frame in the two concealed box-like areas.  The pieces just sit
> loose now in those areas, with no way to get them out.  What do I
do
> to protect those areas now?  I do not have a means to spray POR-15
> and am concerned about breathing in vapors as well.  Would it be
> beneficial to either squirt the Krylon into top and bottom
openings,
> hoping it covers exposed metal surfaces, or perhaps a
> moisture/corrosion resistant oil to hopefully coat the metal?  What
> have others done in these areas?
>
> By the way, I do not drive the car in rain or snow, and only nice
> days in the spring summer and fall, and it remains garaged at all
> other times.  I live in central MA. So perhaps I do not need to
> worry too much about a little concealed rust??
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul
> VIN 10944

<*> Your email settings: