REPOST: Re: [DML] Re: Broken Angle Drive = Faulty mileage?

REPOST: Re: [DML] Re: Broken Angle Drive = Faulty mileage?

Here's take two. I hit the wrong button. Sorry.

To address something Andy said below: No offence taken, but it would
have been more correct to say "Considering the number of people asking
how serious their leaks are." ;-) My plan is to repair the coolant
leak at the end of the month, which is when I should have the parts
and the time. In the meantime, the car is not being driven. I'm not
irresponsible. A faulty clamp is something I could drive with; coolant
leaking into pockets at the top of the engine is not.

To address something David T said in another post: thanks for the
advice. By the way, it's not necessary to assume that my car was
ill-maintained or worked on by idiots -- even though I do some of the
work myself. ;-) Until 2006, the car was a daily driver. The water
pump was installed at DMC Florida a couple of years ago, and I am sure
they did it correctly. Everyone who has looked into the engine
compartment of my DeLorean has commented on how well it has been
maintained, and how every part on it which has been replaced has been
done in an entirely professional manner. The only things I have done
are a few electrical upgrades -- most recently plugs, wires, and
ignition coil -- and some troubleshooting of a bad idle, which called
for the replacement of some O-rings and hoses. (Even those small
repairs I did not do without the advice and supervision of people who
have worked on cars -- specifically DeLoreans -- for years.) If I ever
come across something I can't handle, I will send the car to Houston.
The fact that I live only a couple of hours away from DMC itself is
one of the reasons I felt safe buying the car.

To address (finally) the original topic: It is safe to assume, if you
are buying a DeLorean with any miles on it at all, that it has more
miles than advertised. I think, however, that in most states when a
car reaches a certain age the mileage becomes irrelevant. I distrusted
the mileage on my car because I noticed in the repair history that the
upper speedo cable had been replaced, even though the original came
with the car and was in fine condition. I'd say if you want an
estimate of how much your car has been driven, get a well-seasoned (if
not marinaded) mechanic to look it over, including inside the engine.
I agree with Andy wholeheartedly about maintenance: a well-maintained
vehicle is better than one that has not been well-maintained, no
matter what the mileage! That, however, is my opinion, and I have no
doubt that the debate over low- versus high-mileage cars will continue
until long after I'm dead!

Cheers,
Farrar Hudkins
#2613 (auto)

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 4:53 PM, drew <Soma576@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> You are right. There are not many DeLoreans out there that have not
>  had a broken angle drive, dust cap, or whatever in its lifetime. The
>  mileage of any DeLorean should always be suspect, and you can only be
>  sure of the general mileage based on documented services, inspections,
>  insurance queries, etc. And even then, how do you know someone didn't
>  drive it 1000 miles in one week? How many owners are going to
>  Gettysburg with non-functioning odometers? Based on people planning
>  trips with leaking cooling systems (no offense to Farrar), I would bet
>  plenty.
>
>  Fact is, mileage isn't so much a concern as maintenance and
>  driveability is. A new owner would be better off worrying about
>  whether the antifreeze and brake fluids have been changed regularly,
>  the car driven a couple thousand miles a year, etc.
>
>  Andy

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: