From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
rob@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:22 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [DML] brake caliper painting

Andy,

Cadmium plating (superior to Zinc) makes the caliper look better longer but
the real advantage comes from the fact that the piston bore is re-plated at
the same time. We only use re-plated calipers in our shop and feel that
painting is basically a waste of time unless you're going to powder-coat
them which adds significantly to the cost and is strictly for a better and
longer lasting appearance. The other things that contribute to longevity are
stainless pistons and the use of Girling OEM seals and new bleeder screws.
Rubber compounding is a surprisingly complex technology and the original
Girling seals almost never crack or fail on Delorean's. These calipers
always seem to fail from lack of fluid flushes and the absorption of water
over time. This causes the fluid to "varnish" the bore and eventually to
corrode the chrome on the original pistons and subsequent binding of the
caliper. We offer cadmium plated calipers with stainless pistons and Girling
rubber for about the same cost as John (He has someone make his rubber
seals) but feel more comfortable with OEM rubber parts. We have been
rebuilding them, in house, for over fifteen years and I don't recall a
single failure. You won't "have to mess with them for a long time".
Shameless plug I know but I just can't resist. I'm proud of the quality of
our calipers and actually enjoy rebuilding them. Strange but true :).

Rob Grady,

P.J.Grady Inc.
   _____

[moderator snip]