[DML] Re: clutch

20 years ago this wasn't that unusual a car in most respects.

I don't think that overall mechanics are "worse" but you don't see any
educated in the past 20 years with experience on this FI system in
particular.

Like anyone else doing a job, when they work on similar cars day after
day they are fine, one Honda is pretty much like the next after a
while. Documentation and training are up to date and in the guys'
hands.

In a normal shop, when a DeLorean comes in that's not in the "labor
rate book" they mechanic goes on the clock. They can't beat the clock,
and if they take all day finding the plug that fell halfway out of the
ECU they have to charge the customer 8 hours labor. If you don't bring
them a manual they don't have one. The customer isn't happy, the tech
isn't happy, and his boss isn't happy. This is why so many shops will
just plain turn you away - the service writer just knows that it will
come out bad with ill feelings on both sides. They are also scared to
death that they will break some non-replaceable part unrelated to the
orignal complaint.

Overall though, it's bad to generalize. I'm sure there are many shops
out there with a tech or two with some experience or a higher than
average ability to non-destructively troubleshoot and solve problems.
That's why you see forums like this where people are asking for