Re: [DML] Lauren's Car.

Marc and et al:

Ditto on those points.

Owning any vehicle in NYC is problem.  Parking it in a commercial
parking facility is another job in itself.  The parking rent alone
will level anyone's cash flow.

To start off, parking fees are astronomical in Manhattan, NYC.  In
Lauren's area, I would guess about $500. per month or better? Plus
the NYC sales taxes 8.375% and also a NYC Parking Tax at 10% to boot
(one can get a exemption if they are qualified).  Some facilities
rents are over $800.00 per month in Midtown, NYC.

Second, I would believe that she doesn't park her own car and in many
cases a parking attendant will retrieve the car or put it away for
her -- And many attendants are gorillas when behind the wheel.  They
have no loving care for any of the vehicles that they retrieve or
that they have to park -- They are rough!  If they are, they add
extra wear and tear to the cars........

Third, In a NYC commercial parking garage, one can not do any work on
their vehicle, due the company's insurance policies which does not
cover mishaps that is create by the vehicle's owner. So, if Lauren or
a friend is capable of doing work, they can't.

Let me explain the some of the fun one has to go through in finding a
parking facility in NYC.   Finding a garage to allow an "exotic cars"
to be parked is a another quest in itself.  I have two cars that I
park at a large commercial parking facilities, the DeLorean and a
older Bentley.   I have been turn down by many other garages closet
to my residence and they all refused my cars, while some I do not
feel comfortable with their facilities for securities purposes.
Many of the the garages' policies is that they DO NOT have to accept
oversized vehicles, large vans, stretched limos, EXOTIC CARS and
etc.  And especially with the exotic cars, for many owners are
meticulous and over zealous with the cosmetics of their cars and many
times they always complaint about every newly found scratch or dent
they think that was done by the attendants in the facility. They
always blame the damages on the garage attendants.  If the management
do accept the exotic car, they can impose an addition $100. or better
to be added to the monthly base rent, as this would allow the tenant
to be a "privilege tenant."

I have gotten my garage people to allow me to have my own "dedicated
spaces" as to create the best safest environment for my two cars,
giving a lesser chance of other cars to hit or to open their doors on
them.  I also drive my vehicles in and out of the facilities, this
way I can be responsible for any damages by my mistake to my cars or
to the others as well.  I also have the privileges to lock my cars
after my use (and to take my keys with me).  This way no one can go
and explore, sit or to play with the cars (they did that in the
past).  At times when it is possible, I tried to get the night
attendant to give me time alone with my cars at nights as do some
"simple" minor repairs or adjustments.  You really got to get on
their good sides for that (nothing what a good tip wouldn't do)!

When I am need of repairs or work to be done on the DeLorean, then it
is off to PJ Grady.

BTW, there is a new parking facility that opened last year, it is
just seven hundred feet from where I live.    <http://
www.autoblog.com/2007/03/05/slideshow-of-nycs-first-automated-parking-
garage/>    They want $400. per month plus the all taxes of the 8.25%
and 10%.  For those numbers, I guess I'll stay at my present garage
and walk the one way of eight blocks, (a third a mile) in the rain,
shine or snow.

So, that is the other side in the "pride and joy" of owning and
driving a car in NYC.  Hey, did i every tell you stories of parking a
DeLorean in the streets of NYC?

Kayo Ong
#5508 (daily driven when possible)
Lic  9D  NY

On Apr 7, 2008, at 8:54 PM, Marc Levy wrote:

> I see all of the comments about Lauren's car..
>
> Considering that she has been working on a budget, the
> car is not as bad as she (or the article) makes it
> sound.
>
> Keep in mind, this car lives in a garage in Manhattan.
> She does not drive it on a regular basis, and more
> often that not it needs a jump start to get it out of
> the garage. She has a disadvantage that the rest of
> us may not understand, which is she does not park her
> own car!! The extra step we all take when we put the
> car in the garage (especially for a extended period)
> is a luxury she does not have..
>
> She also probably spends more on parking every month
> than most of the rest of us spend on the entire car!
> If that is not love for the DeLorean, I don't know
> what is.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: