[DML] Re: Tires too old?

As Mike has said, 7 years is about the limit. You can push it past
that and I'll tell you how. That date code is when the tires were
made. They probably sat in a nice cool, dark warehouse for some period
of time (months) and maybe even at the tire shop. If the car was
garaged then it was kept out of the direct sunlight and that can add
some time too. If the tires show no cracking in the sidewalls you can
keep driving on them but 8 years past the date code is about the most
you would want to go. If the car is not used on the highway you can go
even longer but you are not going to have a safe tire. After so many
years the tires seem to get very hard riding and when they get hot the
tread can separate from the carcass. Always making sure you have the
correct tire pressure and using a tire spray with UV protection will
also prolong the life of the tires. I also check the tires regularly
for stones, screws, nails, and glass. Run your hand over the tread and
the sides of the tire. If you feel waves or lumps-and-bumps, the tire
is starting to separate inside. If you hit a really bad pothole you
should inspect the tire right away and the rim too. For leaks (in the
tread area only) never trust a plug for anything but a temporary
repair. The "proper" way is to dismount the tire, patch it inside,
remount and rebalance. Damage or leaks in the side are unrepairable.
Be very wary if you have to use the spare. I would go real slow and
limp to a tire shop right away. That tire is over 25 years old!!!!!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Tait" <TTait@...> wrote:

> Our new D has ancient tires on the rear, but the date code on the
Yokohamas on the front is 2001.  They still have good tread and no
cracking etc - what does the collective wisdom here think?

> BYW - the model name of the tire is ASSOH - not sure how I feel
about that either - havn't they heard of focus groups?  I guess the
name is irrelevant if the wheels keep turning.

> Tom

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: