Re: [DML] Re: Bought another DMC.

I agree with Mike that it is probably not a good idea
to discuss ways of breaking in to a DeLorean on a
public forum...  But, in this specific case I was
trying to enter a DeLorean with a broken door handle..
 I HAD THE KEY, and it was required for the process to
work...  I do not feel this method will put any ones
DeLorean at risk..

With that said, I will post my method below...  and
Allow Mike (or whoever is moderating) to remove this
portion of the message if they feel it is giving
something away;

Because the release cable is part of the door handle
assembly, I decided to remove the door handle form the
outside.  First, I cut the front hinge off the handle
to get it out of the way (the back was already
broken).  Then I peeled away the rubber/metal filler
behind the handle.  With that gone, the heads of the
bolts that hold the handle to the door are exposed.  I
chiseled the heads off, and the handle fell right out
exposing the release cable.  I THEN UNLOCKED THE DOOR
WITH THE KEY, and was able to open the door by pulling
the cable with vice grips.

Again, this method only works for a broken door
handle.  If the door is locked, this method will not
get you in to the car...  But, I imagine my situation
was unique in that I could not open EITHER door!

There was a Homer Simpson "DOH!" moment in all of
this, but that is a story for another time..  I can
tell you that if you lock the keys in the car,
removing the door handle will offer no advantage to
"break in" to the car.

--- dmc_5180 <dmc_5180@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [MODERATOR NOTE:  I know Marc Levy knows this, but
> for the sake of everyone else, if the technique used
> was a way to break into the car the reply should not
> be sent to the DML.  Please send by private email.
> - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]
>
> Marc,
>
> What was the secret to getting in the car? Did any
> of the suggestions
>  work for you? Or, was it something else?
>
> Dennis

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: