[DML] Updated Pictures #5939

I've gotten out of the DML habit, but my winter endeavors generated
enough interest at Louie Golden's recent get-together that I figured
I'd see how much controversy they can stir up over here.

Pictures are in a temporary Yahoo photo album next to #5939's old one.
I'll leave it up for a few days, then knock it down.

All bracketing is stainless steel of course. I threw away that steel
monstrosity DMC bolted to the firewall (not the crash bar -- that's
been repainted & reinstalled). Should have fiberglassed the old
mounting points -- oh well, too late now. All other unused holes in
the pontoons have been filled. The formed charcoal canister plate has
been replaced with a flat piece of plastic. Can't fill it because the
power antenna and HVAC vacuum canister are still in there. The engine
cover has been modified to clear the new air filter housing. Labels
are of course specific to my application. Air filter lid uses a stock
"DMC change filter element" sticker. Didn't come out well in the
picture, but lettering on the carburetor label is silver too, not
white (matches the lid). Jump start labels always want to turn yellow,
so I figured I'd beat mine to the punch and print it with yellow text
on a black background to begin with.

Hood weatherstripping has been replaced as well. DMC is the only car
company in the world to put weatherstripping on the lid rather than
the body, and we all know how well that holds up. Screws were there
primarily to hold everything in place until the adhesive dried, but I
figure they'll also add strain relief over the years. Stainless of
course, as are the bumpers now.

Guess I'd have to take a nighttime picture of this, but the taillight
boards have been modified with dual filament bulbs in positions 2 and
4. The former brake light positions continue to be my tail lights as
before, but now when you hit the brake, all three red lenses
illuminate (double bright in positions 2 and 4, and because the
reflector in position 3 is shaped differently, basically the same
candlepower from its single element bulb). The third brake light is
still there, but its wiring now passes through a little metal conduit
(same routing as before, but the conduit is painted black so it
doesn't really show up in the pics).

Forgot to photograph the single piece headliner. Perhaps after the
seats are recovered next month I'll take a few interior shots. Need
another nighttime pic to show footwell and B pillar courtesy lights
(stock DeLoreans are dark enough to be mugged in after dark).

MPG to/from Louie's get-together was 25. It does pay to slow down a
little bit (55 MPH limit versus 70 on the interstate).

Bill Robertson

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: