[DML] Re: Frame Rust - accessing areas from beneath.

[DML] Re: Frame Rust - accessing areas from beneath.

Thanks for the advice.  How do you get loose epoxy off the inside
surfaces which are touch to reach? In some areas I can get my finger
in to feel the lifting epoxy layer, but it looks like there's no way
to get in there to scrape or paint.  Do I need to worry about these
inside areas, provided I correct the outside surfaces, and never run
the car in rain or snow anyway?

Thanks,

Paul

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...>
wrote:

> This job does not require much skill but if you give it out it can
> cost a lot of money. It is not difficult to do, just messy. Remove
> whatever is soft, loose, cracked, or flaking. If it is just surface
> rust and not deeply pitted you do not really need POR-15 but it
> certainly can't hurt. Sand the edges of the paint so there is no
bump.
> After coating with POR-15 spary paint the area with Krylon Smoke
grey.
> It is a close match and you can get it in any Home Depot.
The "hidden"
> areas include where the gas tank is. To do a "proper" job you have
> remove the plate and the fuel tank. You do not have to remove the
> body. If the metal is very corroded and thin or with holes you
have to
> cut out the bad metal and replace it with new. That requires a lot
> more skill. If the rust is just cosmetic nothing will happen
quickly
> but if the frame is very corroded with a lot of holes and thin
metal
> it could be dangerous to drive.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet@> wrote:
> >
> > I have the typical epoxy flaking on corners of frame and surface
> > rust formed.  I also have a more serious situation on the front
end,
> > where epoxy softened and lifted in areas due to brake fluid
leaking
> > for the previous owner. I'd like to get to this, but not sure
how to
> > remove the loose epoxy in hidden areas.  If I do the best I can
with
> > scrapers and screwdrivers, apply POR 15 and then paint, will it
be
> > good enough that some deep areas will not get prepared properly?
> > don't plan to lift or remove the car from the frame and want to
do
> > what I can from underneath when on jack stands.  I live in MA,
but
> > never take the car out in the rain or snow.  How critical is it
that
> > I repair the rust immediately, since it's not exposed to rain or
> > snow?  Will general moisture in the air attack the rust that
quickly?

> > Also, if I ask Rob Grady to do this job, does he have better
access
> > to the hidden areas, and is it very expensive for him to fix?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Paul
> > Vin 10944

<*> Your email settings: