From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
stephenucedu
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2008 6:36 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] mixture issue

Well, today I decided to tackle what I "sensed" was a rich mixture, based on
a bit too much
black smoke coming out the exhaust. The PO said that he had adjusted the
mixture using
an air fuel ratio meter, and that the car seemed to run best when set at an
AFR of 12.5 at
idle. Does anyone have a feel for that value for our engines?

Well, I used the dwell meter method to measure the duty cycle, and it was
way off - at
about a 10 on 8 cyl setting with not much fluctuation. So, I leaned it out
by turning the
mixture screw CCW, and I had to turn it easily 1/4 th of a turn to get it
where I thought it
should be. So, now after full warmup (fans come on and then fans go off), I
get a dwell
that fluctuates from 28-38 (8 cyl setting) and 38-48 on 6 cyl setting. I
runs a bit better
than before, no pinging, and I can feel the WOT enrichment that I could not
feel before.
Also, a white piece of paper held to the tailpipe for 1 minute at idle shows
not a speck of
black. Have not tried to start it cold, though.

So, I feel that it is now set correctly. I would like to know 1) if anyone
has any thoughts on
the AFR for our cars and 2) is the 6 cyl or 8 cyl reading correct? An old
Santos file I found
said to use the 4 cyl setting. That would put my car, based on the 8 cyl
setting, at a duty
cycle that would be way too high (multiply 8 cyl setting by 2), and indicate
that it is way
too lean. In another note from Dave, he said just aim for a 10 degree
fluctuation. But I
would think the absolute value is also important.

Steve Liggett
5983
Baltimore

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews