[DML] Re: Renting car - civil liability

Typically the rentor will provide the insurance. They give you, the
owner, a Certificate of Liability with you as named insured. The
Certificate will spell out in detail what kind of insurance and how
much. If the rentor does not want to provide insurance directly you,
as the owner, can get it. Check with your insurance company. Typically
you are NOT insured if you use the car for commercial purposes. Most
insurance companies will provide insurance for one-time, specific
events (for a fee). Find out if yours does and what it costs and make
sure to include the cost in your fee for the use of the car. I know
Hagerty does. The insurance should include collision to cover any
damage to the car and liability if anyone should get hurt or your car
damages someone else's property. The collision limit should be equal
to or slightly greater than the value of your car and the liability
limit should be at least 1 million "Per Occurance". Insist on "No
Deductable". If the car is towed and "static displayed" it is a lot
less expensive than if it is actually driven at the event by others.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "daviddelorean" <daviddelorean@...> wrote:

> I've seen a few DMC owners on this list and other web sites renting out
> their cars to help pay for purchase and maint costs. I've actually had
> people on my street ask me about doing this for weddings, graduations,
> etc. My concern is with civil liability. If someone rents your car
> (pays you $ to use it for x amount of time) and they crash the car
> (their fault) which results in injury/death/property damage of
> themselves or another party, are you as the owner of the car in hot
> water as far as civil liability is concerned?  My state has a statute
> that immunizes licensed car rental agencies from civil liability at the
> fault of the renter's actions (if not companies like Hertz, Avis, etc)
> would be sued 20 times a day.  But that statute doesn't apply to
> private owners who aren't licesed as rental businesses.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)