[DML] Re: DCS Fun Fact Update (New Guests)

[DML] Re: DCS Fun Fact Update (New Guests)

I wish people would not pull numbers out of thin air. Others hear them
and then think they are correct. It gets in the common vernacular like
the 9,500 # did. At this time I do not believe anyone can even guess
at the actual #. The "I am told" is not enough documentation. With the
lost records, gaps in the vin #'s, blocks of vin #'s that were
skipped, and other factors all you have is your "guess". From a
statistical point of view, Knut's Production Chronology is probably
the "best" way to guestimate how many were made and how many exist. It
is a safe bet that the majority of the production is in the USA, that
is the market DMC was catering to. Since then a fair # have been
shipped out of the USA. I know 2 that went to Italy last year! As for
museums and private collections, that can only account for a handful,
probably less than 100. More are probably rotting away in backyards
and driveways! I know of 6 in the greater NY area. And those are only
the ones I found! I am sure many are in garages that can't be seen.
Another Fairy Tale is that less than 25% are automatics. From personal
experience (in my limited geographical area) it would seem that a lot
more were made. Including '81 when many said there were no (or hardly
any) automatics. I strongly recomend all Delorean owners register on
the DoD. This is the best way to try and track the #'s. Remember, we
don't "own" these cars, we are only custodians of them while we enjoy
them.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "welmoedj" <joe.dalton@...> wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> I won't start discussing numbers, however I am told there are only
> some 5.600 cars left. That number includes cars in musea (regardless
> official musea or in privately owned collections), as well as cars
> outside the USA.
> Though the majority of cars are in your country, their total would be
> considerably less than 5.600 vehicles.
>
> Of course that will not influence the ratios, but it will definitely
> show a different percentage for the number of cars at the show.
> It will at least improve that figure. :D
>
> Welmoed.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: