[DML] Re: Treatment of Newbies (was: Leaving The Group)

[DML] Re: Treatment of Newbies (was: Leaving The Group)

John,

I exactly know what you mean.
I am more into computers than into cars.

In my field we use the acronim RTFM, probably well known to a lot of
contributors on this forum as they also use computers.

My long time experience is that computer users pick up the phone and
call support, without reading the manual or help file which also
could have solved the problem. Nevertheless once on the phone you
don't send them off, but explain what the need to know.

>From my short time being a DeLorean owner I found that most of the
vendors and also the contributors on D forums are very helpful and
patiently explain what you need to know, even if the same question
has been asked over and over.

To those helpful persons - both commercially as well as owners - I
only can say "Thank you", from the bottom of my heart.
You all made it possible for me to gain knowledge and in turn help
others as far as I can. Carry on the good work.

Welmoed.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Hervey" <john@...> wrote:

> Harold, Would I be considered an DeLorean Mechanic?
>
> Group, If you want see what it's really like then get over into the
parts
> business and you will get the phone calls from the newbie's and
shops more
> than you will see over the internet.
> I feel in the computer world and instant messages that why a lot of
Newbie's
> go to the internet first. Reading the books is one thing but when
some one
> explains why the cold start doesn't work after they have read the
book and
> thought they have checked everything and I tell the it's the
starter, I wish
> I could see the blank look on their face.
> Several times a month I'm explaining the 7-11 trip and the car
won't start,
> fans won't turn on, blower motor quits and starts back up and car
get to
> hot. But the most I get is fuel related problems and electrical.
> That's ok if I have the time during the day or I will call them
back in the
> evening. You would be surprised how many folks aren't on the chat
groups.
> Just my 2 cents
> John Hervey
> www.deloreanautopart.com
> Newbie Counselor

Behalf Of
> Harold McElraft
> Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:43 PM
> To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [DML] Re: Treatment of Newbies (was: Leaving The Group)
>
> Well, in the newbie's defense, lack of confidence is probably the
main
> factor in seeking help. Rightfully so I think. Fear of doing
something
> wrong and causing more or greater problems, adding to the "break-
down"
> risk and excessive expense are legitimate concerns if you are
unsure of
> what you are doing. Many of us "old-timers" see some of the issues
as
> simple when in reality they are complex issues or at least may
appear
> incomprehensible to someone looking at a DeLorean for the first
time.

> Experience is a great confidence builder. Some of the common
problems
> in a DeLorean need to have an experienced mechanic instructing or
doing
> the work in order to avoid costly and even dangerous outcomes.
>
> I'll help when I can - but I encourage "newbies" to visit the
nearest
> DMC service center or an experienced DMC mechanic.
>
> Harold McElraft - 3354
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@>
wrote:

> > I agree that many things repeat. In the summer we get the A/C
> > questions. The newbies want to know about the doors and their most
> > urgent problems. Many could do more if they read the manual or
tried a
> > search. The newer ones just are not aware of what we take for
granted
> > as common and usual. Maybe they just need confirmation for what
they
> > already know. I post to them because some people just don't ask
and it
> > helps to refresh everyone's memory. From time-to-time we come up
with
> > newer solutions by reposting old problems. Or at least different
ways
> > to see them. How would you feel if you were a newbie, thrilled to
> > finally have

address:
> moderators@...

www.dmcnews.com