[DML] Re: Speedometer is wacky

Are these the same people who were going to fix your doors?

Recalibrating a speedometer is a fairly complex procedure. You need a
very powerful electromagnet to zap the magnet inside the speedometer,
and you need some way to measure what you're doing to the poor thing.
The average garage mechanic isn't going to be able to tell you much
more than that the tiny spring inside is still in place.

You do know that a speedometer needs to be removed from the instrument
cluster and taken apart to do this. Has your mechanic really gone to
all that trouble (removing a DeLorean binnacle requires significant
automotive yoga -- much more than most mechanics are willing to endure).

You could be having cabling issues. The magnet inside the speedometer
is driven by a series of cables ultimately attached to the driver's
front wheel. A clear indication that these cables are unraveling is
wild needle movement. I have been through the ringer with unwound
cables myself: Three inside the spindle and one between the angle
drive and the Lambda counter. Conventional wisdom is that the angle
drive gears themselves fail, but my experience has been completely
different -- cables fail and the gears soldier on. The good news is
generic replacement cables (you cut them to length) only cost $5
apiece. My angle drive has been modified to accept replacement cables
inserted from outside the vehicle. As long as the spindle cable is
merely unwound, and not snapped in two, I will be able to replace it
without removing the angle drive from the vehicle.

Welcome to the joys of DeLorean ownership.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "daviddelorean" <daviddelorean@...>
wrote:

> I had my speedo worked on to make it more accurate. It is better, but
> not 100% up to par. What causes a speedo to jump around?
>
> From 0-15 it fluxuates all over, from 15-45 it is steady. From 45-55 it
> fluxuates. From 55-65 it is accurate. From 65-85 it fluxuates wildly.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)