[DML] Re: Doors not working properly

You're getting great advice. Marc, Kevin, Bill, and David are
definitely people to listen to.

1. It is not a one person job.
2. Find and join a club to help you.
3. It is dangerous for you and your car if not done right.

This is what I learned a few years ago. One way to determine what you
need and find out if you need a torsion bar adjustment or new struts
is to remove the struts and close the door. Open the door and look
for "THE ONE AND A HALF TO TWO INCH TOLERANCE". With no struts
installed open the door and let it lift as much as it will. If the
gap between the door and the fender at the crease in the panel
measures less than 1-1/2", then the torsion bar is too low or loose.
If the gap is more than 2", then the torsion bar to high or tight. If
the door sans struts opens and rests between 1.5" and 2", then your
torsion bar tension is fine and doesn't need adjustment.

Remember, that DeLorean doors open a little slower in winter and a
little faster in summer because the gas in the struts are temperature
sensitive.

A properly aligned DeLorean door will open by just unlatching the
catches and it will close with the pressure of two fingers. I have
seen this, it is a beautiful thing, and it involves more than torsion
bars and struts.

Good luck and don't go to those shops again! They don't know what
they are doing.

Make friends in the DeLorean Community. These are some of the finest
people around.

Ben Ferguson (Captain Hydrogen)
Arizona DeLorean Club, Car Cruise Director
VIN 6477
VIN 10365

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "daviddelorean" <daviddelorean@...>
wrote:

> I visited some DMC owners recently and some repair shops. One thing
> noticed on the cars that are in very good shape is that the doors
as
> light as a feather.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional