Re: [DML] Re: Fuel Metering

I would like to add my two cents here as well. I have to say that I have
driven both types of car. Carbs are generally not fuel efficient as most of
us like to have now a days. But a carb does generally have more power. But
thats not really fair because I know EFI can be modded to the point to where
it gives a lot of power and a carb be made extremely efficient. I personally
am going EFI on a 3.0 Eagle engine for my D. I had to replace the engine so
I decided to go a little bigger and I personally understand EFI better than
a carb. I am good at electronics and computers. So a carb would be difficult
for me to tweek myself simply because I dont know what I'm doing. EFI on the
other hand is mostly electronic based just program a custom ECU, like
MegaSquirt, wire in and go. For a stock motor going to either EFI or Carb
would be an interesting venture and custom in either direction. The 3.0 came
with EFI so its easy to keep it. The stock engine came with K-Jet its
equally as easy to replace a single component at a time. Carbs are easy for
some to understand same as with EFI or mechanical fuel injection. My
grandmother had a motor home with a carb that started acting up. After a
month of attempting to fix it and a dozen different mechanics trying to fix
it the problem was a piece of an acorn that had gotten stuck in the carb. I
had a 84 Daytona with central EFI that REFUSED to start because the ECU
wasn't engaging the injector. After a new pump, injector, filter, and ECU
the actual problem was discovered to be a $2 sensor under the distributor.
Of course we all know how a simple rubber gasket at the end of some screw of
the K-Jet system can cause a lot of trouble and replacement of several
components before the actual problem is discovered. In a way I agree with
everyone. I can see the plus side of going to a Carb especially if that is
what your used to same as with the K-Jet and EFI. I can also see the point
to keep a D completely stock just as I can see the point in customizing it.
As far as my opinion on the market value of stock vs custom. I haven't seen
much of a difference. A stock D in PERFECT condition will always be the most
valuable. But honestly I can't see a daily driver thats stock being any less
or more valuable than a custom. By the time a stock D goes up in price so
will a custom simply because there aren't that many of them. A DeLorean is a
DeLorean they are all the same at heart. Even the DeLo Limo will still have
the heart/soul of a regular DeLorean. Well thats my rant for this thread I
hope that I can afford to make it to Gettysburg to meet everyone.

Dave
6410

On Dec 31, 2007 8:05 PM, content22207 <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Yahoo's DML group truncates the eMail address:
> brobertson(at)carolina.net
>
> I actually welcome messages on the subject. I'd estimate twelve owners
> have explored the possibility of carburetion over the years. To the
> best of my knowledge none have gone through with it. Intake manifolds
> seem to be the limiting factor.
>
> Bill Robertson
>

> >--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <dmcnews%40yahoogroups.com>, Soma576@...
> wrote:
> >
> > Here's an idea...
> >
> > For all who want to know about putting a carburetor on their DeLorean,
> > please email Bill Robertson personally at _brobertson@..._
> > (mailto:brobertson@...) . He will be glad to tell you all about
> the benefits of
> > it. Or, they can check the archives because now everything that
> can be said
> > about carburetors and DeLoreans has been archived.
> >
> > Great! Now that that's settled, we can close the thread!
> >

> > Just my opinion,
> >
> > Andy
> >
> > Fargo, ND
> > 1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596