[DML] Re: Cleaning off heater core to improve airflow

[DML] Re: Cleaning off heater core to improve airflow

Is the air flow bad all the time or only on heat? If bad all the time
the evaporator screen is plugged, if only on heat it's the heater
core or some flaps that are not moving correctly. I've never seen a
dirty heater core, but then again I haven't seen many cars with 190K
miles on them either.

If you are lucky you can take the blower motor out and reach your
hand in there and clean much of the screen that goes over the
evaporator. Be sure to vacuum everything out or you'll trade lack of
air flow for lack of drain water flow. Unfortunately you can't reach
the water drain since it's on the other side of the evaporator.

You can't easily reach the heater core at all without taking the
whole case out of the car. It may be possible to disassemble the
whole dash and remove the heater core box leaving the evaporator case
in place, but I've never tried that. (You'd still have to disconnect
the water lines.) There are a couple of screws that hold it in place
that are close-to-impossible to reach, and if you do get them out you
won't get them back in again.

Make sure all your flap acuators are working too.

While you're in there, make sure that the blower motor is working
properly and that the resistor pack has not become corroded.

Also - you didn't happen to recently replace the blower motor, did
you? There is a very common cross reference motor that turns
backwards. Interestingly enough a cage blower turning backwards still
moves air in the right direction, just not very much of it.

Also part 2 - make sure that the sponge that seals up the heater
tubes is still in place. When it falls off a lot of air will leak out
the back of the housing. You reach it from the driver side and have
to feel your way behind the heater box to where the heater lines exit
the box and go out thru the body.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud@...>
wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm getting pretty low airflow through my heater/AC system and
suspect
> that I have an accumulation of lint on the heater core restricting
> airflow (which would be reasonable for my 190K mile car).

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)