RE: [DML] Power Steering rack

I like the idea of an all electric system suggested, but it's
complicated and expensive.

It sounds like the simplest system would be a hydraulic one, but with a
pump located up in the front end with an electric drive.  (Thanks
Welmoed). With the possible addition of a small hydraulic accumulator,
one could even go with a smaller motor/pump.  Under that scenario they
system could be engineered to hold enough fluid at pressure to allow the
wheel to turn lock to lock 2 or 3 times before emptying the accumulator,
and then size the pump to refill the accumulator in 15 or 20 seconds.
In this way the pump, and its drive motor don't need to be sized to
provide enough flow for constant use, but perhaps be a third that
capacity.

Then you add a pressure cycling switch on the accumulator and the PS
pump motor would only need to kick on intermittently, much the way your
AC compressor does, except the load would be drawing off the battery and
alternator, not directly off the engine.  A good contender for the motor
could be the very same improved radiator fan motors that many vendors
now sell IF paired to the proper pump.

I know there is more than enough room in the spare tire well to mount
all this gear, basically as a drop in assembly.  I don't even carry the
spare, I have AAA plus towing.

A kit could be produced then with a power rack (off the shelf with bolt
on adaptors as required) that bolts in, a pre-assembled
pump/reservoir/accumulator/relay assembly to sit in the front boot under
the carpet, and electrical tails to tie in the motor and control power
units.  Such a system could probably be installed in a day in a shop or
over a weekend at home.  The failure mode would be fail-safe as most
hydraulic power steering units are - if the hydraulics fail then you're
back to the same steering we already have.

John, can you build it?

Everyone - what might a kit like this be worth (assuming it was proven,
tested, warranteed etc)?  I'd think if it came in at a grand or less
there would be a reasonable number of takers.

One other thought - inspired by the other big thread of the moment...
Maybe we could power that hydraulic power steering pump by putting a
mechanical pump in line between the upper and lower speedo cables and
let the angle drive also turn the pump!

Tom

PS - For anyone unsure, I'm joking about that last part...