Re: [DML] Re: WANTED: Angle Drive

I've been meaning to do a hybrid solution:  Two or four magnets on the
drive axle read by a pickup mounted in that general area, run through
a pulse-to-voltage converter (an LM2907 or whatnot), with the output
upped from 5v to 12v and using it to drive a ~2000 RPM (which I
believe comes out to 85 MPH at the speedometer, assuming nothing is
gearing it up or down) 12v DC motor hooked up to the speedometer cable
just under the Lambda counter, and with a potentiometer to fine-tune
the motor output.  That would use the original speedometer, but
eliminate the angle drive and any related maintenance for good, and I
figure the DC motor should last for quite some time, not to mention
that a variety of motors could be used.  The only annoyance might be a
slight whir from under the dash as the motor spins, although engine
noise might drown that out.

I mostly wanted to do the magnet/LM2907 thing so I could get the speed
of the car as a voltage for use in a computer setup I'm planning to do
someday, and while I was at it was going to hook up that DC motor to
replace the angle drive as well.

-- Joe

> Suggestion?....
> HAL sensor on the wheel, connected to an electronic
> speedometer/odometer in the dash is a simple solution. Most modern
> cars use an alike system.
> However.... the practical and working version may well be years away.
>
> Welmoed.
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Peter Lucas <lucas@...> wrote:
>>
>> Sigh.   It really is time for somebody to come up with a practical
>> electric setup...
>> --Pete Lucas
>>   VIN #06703

<*> Your email settings: