Re: [DML] Re: WANTED: Angle Drive

Duplicating my post on the UK DOC forum

 From a design standpoint they're a bit wierd - 8 turns of the wheel to
9 turns of the cable. I know Speedograph did have some left over but
sold them to the US long ago and wanted a lot to remanufacture them in
small quantities

The actual 8:9 ratio AND the direction of o/p rotation is what causes
the problem. You can't do that in a single stage with normal gears
which'll take plenty of torque - it can only be done with what are
called screw gears. Look up any gear manufacturer's catalogue and
they'll all state "low torque applications only, very susceptible to
contamination" or words to this effect.

It could be done with a little gearbox and a pair of bevel gears doing
the 90-degree bit, but that'd be $$$ to replace a part that's relatively
cheap and easy to replace. I'd be happy to just replace mine every
couple of years....

...if they had any.

Martin
www.delorean.co.uk

David Teitelbaum wrote:

> I have never actually seen the gears. I am only going on what I have
> been told and have heard about. If, in fact, the gears ARE metal
> origionally it only reenforces my opinion that if the angle drive
> fails it is NOT a fault of the angle drive but a problem somewhere
> else in the system. Making the angle drive "stronger" is not going to
> fix the problem (especially of it always HAD metal gears). If you have
> an angle drive fail then just replacing it just means that the new one
> will fail too. I guess the story of plastic gears is just like many
> other "urban legends".
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757

<*> Your email settings: