RE: [DML] Re: WANTED: Angle Drive

I have not ever taken one of these apart, but I would like to make some guesses as to what makes these gears fail.
I would assume the problem is what ever keeps the gears aligned is the issue.
I have not seen the gears, can you answer if they are straight cut or cut at an angle?
The issue is that when put into reverse, they bind, lock into place and then the cable is twisted
in the opposite direction that it is wound, then it kinks and snaps.
That has been the case on all of my failures.
When you try to twist it in the reverse direction it binds up.
(I have also had them fail at high speed, 100+ MPH)

My solution would be some sort of slip gear, like a bicycle, where it grabs in the forward
direction and slips in the reverse direction.
Warran suggested repairing the broken drives by attaching a piece of brass square tubing
from a hardware store, but that would only be effective if you fixed the binding gear problems.

I will have to open up and dissect one of my sets of gears myself and have a look.
But I am guessing that how ever the gear's shafts are held into place is not precise enough
and when in reverse the gear is pushed up out of place, catching against the housing and locking up.
A tiny bushing might be in order here to prevent this from happening.
-VB

To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 23:45:59 +0000Subject: [DML] Re: WANTED: Angle Drive

I have never actually seen the gears. I am only going on what I havebeen told and have heard about. If, in fact, the gears ARE metaloriginally it only reinforces my opinion that if the angle drivefails it is NOT a fault of the angle drive but a problem somewhereelse in the system. Making the angle drive "stronger" is not going tofix the problem (especially of it always HAD metal gears). If you havean angle drive fail then just replacing it just means that the new onewill fail too. I guess the story of plastic gears is just like manyother "urban legends".David Teitelbaumvin 10757--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <rob@...> wrote:>> Darryl,> > > > I agree with you on the gear material. I have rebuilt several hundred> original angle drives and have never seen plastic gears utilized. Maybe> David T. could share with us any information he has on "plasticgears" and> if he has actually seen a set.> > > > Rob Grady> > > > P.J.Grady Inc.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)