[DML] Re: re-Opinions, & Assistance Greatly Appreciated!

[DML] Re: re-Opinions, & Assistance Greatly Appreciated!

Although not quiet the same, my first attempt at repair was to have
two ally 10mm thick plates TIG welded over the top deeper holes. This
worked for a few months, unfortunatly the oil just found the next
weakest spot in the casting to force it's way out of,,
Chris
--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bruce Benson" <delornut@...> wrote:

> We have a local owner going through the same situation. The problem
with
> using epoxy for the repair is the different expansion rates between
the
> epoxy and the aluminum. There is also the real possibility of the
epoxy,
> prior to curing, dripping into the oil gallery and plugging it.
When
> disussing the problem with the local owner I suggested fabricating
an
> aluminum block the exact size as the leaking cavity between the
spars. The
> new piece of aluminum would reach the top of the spars where it
could be
> heli-arc'd  solid to the surrounding spars. It would, in other
words, be a
> big plug. The molten aluminum created during the welding would be
at the top
> of the cavity where it couldn't flow into the oil gallery and the
newly
> fabricated piece would fill the cavity so as not to allow an
unwanted oil
> reservoir. The welding would seal the cavity all around the top of
the
> spars. I haven't seen this done but I can't imagine why it wouldn't
work and
> it would sure be a lot less work and expense than changing out the
engine
> block.
>
> Bruce Benson

<*> Your email settings: