[DML] Re: Joe

Delorean Joe did NOT work for free. He acted as a vendor. The advice
he offered on the DML was free but he charged if you called him for
info. I know, when I first got my Delorean and had an automatic
transmission problem he mailed me a single sheet of paper with some
information and he charged me $2. For a long time people seemed happy
with him and his work but towards the end everything he did seemed to
have a problem. I agree with the teaching part. Unfortunetly some
owners have zero automotive knowledge and a Delorean is not the "best"
car to learn on. That doesn't mean you can't teach them, it means they
cannot do complex tasks on their own. They don't even know the safety
basics and can get into trouble very quickly. It also usually means
they don't have even basic tools or a good place to work. All too
often an owner will come to a club event in a P.O.S. hoping someone
will take pity on him and fix it for him.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@...> wrote:

> I'm not a big fan of doing work *FOR* other owners, but rather prefer
> to work *WITH* other owners. Basically the "teach a man to fish"
> philosophy. One of the strengths of the DeLorean community is that an
> owner can issue an all-call for help, and within days others will
> drive to his or her location to assist. When Rich Acuti posted a plea,
> I drove up from North Carolina, Dave Stragand drove down from
> Pennsylvania, and we all converged in Mike Cohee's Maryland garage
> (until 5:00 in the morning). I also worked with Louie Golden on #10115

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)