RE: [DML] "Horsepower" In The Neverending Performance Debate

RE: [DML] "Horsepower" In The Neverending Performance Debate

Bill - Thank you!

I will also throw in that there is a mid level cost option to getting
more HP as well.

I have recently installed DMCC's performance cam kit.  Its not a small
job, but I had to replace the head gaskets on my car anyway so it was no
extra work in my case.  The cams are $600 for a set.  While this is not
cheap, Don Stengor has put cars on a dyno - first stock and running
well, and then a week later with his cams installed, and he has gotten
impressive results.

My car has not been on the Dyno, and even if it was I don't have a
baseline, so I won't quote numbers here. Don knows them and I'd rather
he make those statements if anyone is interrested.  They are very (very)
close to the numbers for the Stage II engine though.  Not bad for a job
you could do yourself if you had the gumption and $600 in performance
upgrade parts.  If you have DMCC do the install for you it is still
likely half the cost of a stage II upgrade.

(By the way there is a fantastic write up in the tech section or doing a
head swap - if you're a good mechanic, or budget challenged as I am it
is do-able.  Most owners however will be happier paying the pros to do
their magic - it's a do-able job but not recreational.)

I've just sent the car down to Don to check my valve adjustments, but
it's already running nicely.  Long term information on the upgrade will
have to come from others for now.

Your write up, Bill, will help readers understand that the actual
performance of the engine as compared to a stage II will obviously vary
even if the HP numbers are the same, because they will have different
torque curves.  Maybe it's better for your driving style, maybe not, but
it's worth consideration.

Tom

10902