Re: [DML] Performance Tires?

Do you have a set of "new" NCT's for means of
comparison?  :)

With the DMC, there is a limited choice of tires.
However, a funny thing happened to me with my SHO.

For years, I have been buying "performance" tires, at
$100+ PER TIRE, thinking my performance Taurus was
better with "performance" than el-cheapo tires.

Last year, I realized when it was too late that I had
killed my front tires with less than 15K miles on
them, to the point that it was unsafe to drive.  I
called a local discount tire place and they gave me
some "no-name" cheap tires that were the correct speed
rating and size.  The car holds the road much better
now, especially in the rain.  So, I have "better"
performance for about half the price.

Back to DMC....   Before DCS 06, I had my wheels
powder coated and picked up a set of Pilots to mount
on them.  While I was waiting for them to be done, Ken
lent me a sent a wheels with some "cheap" tire on
them.  I ran these tires on 6068 (VQ35 car) and at
times pushed them pretty hard.  On the way to Chicago,
we stopped in Cinncy to swap the wheels back and I
have been running on the Pilots ever since.  The
Pilots do seem to grip a little better dry, but I
never got to try out the "cheap" tires wet.  Overall
handling change was unnoticeable.  Martin and Dan may
be able to give better A/B comparison on this because
they were driving 6068 seconds before, and seconds
after the tire change....  and they drive it a lot
harder than I have ever done!!  :)

Point is, if I were buying tires for the DMC, I would
not hesitate to use the "cheap" tires Ken lent me.

--- content22207 <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All the recent tire posts have me wondering: Without
> some scientific
> measurements, how do I really need which tires to
> buy? Customer
> testimonials aren't any good. It doesn't matter
> whether an owner
> thinks one brand is quieter than another, or handles
> better than
> another, because those are subjective opinions. God
> forbid a tire
> manufacturer actually advertise its product as
> "improved." Obviously
> cost isn't an issue. NCT's were good enough 30 years
> ago, so they're
> good enough now. Do you get a money back guarantee
> if you try a set of
> performance tires and decide you don't like them?
>
> Bill Robertson

http://mail.yahoo.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional