[DML] Re: lower evap casing

I changed my evaporator last summer, because I accidentally drilled a
hole in one of the metals tubes that extend through the firewall.  Let
me tell you, I was under the ignorant illusion that it was not a big
deal, and that all I needed to do to replace the evaporator was to
simply "drop" the lower half of the plastic casing that's under the
passenger side of the dash.  Was I ever wrong!  Using a flashlight and
mirror, and contorting my body into shapes I thought impossible, I
successfully removed about 10 of the 12 or so screws that held the two
plastic halves together.  The remaining screws cannot be removed
without dropping the entire evaporator casing, as they are located on
the top half of the box.  Feeling defeated, but grateful for this
Yahoo group, I realized that the center console and a good portion of
the dash needed to be removed in order to get the casing out.  After a
couple of days of careful disassembly, I got it out, cursed briefly at
the two or three srews that were on the top of the box(I swear, I
heard little "nah, nah, nah, nah, nah" coming from those screws!).
Once you get the box out, there must be some way to ensure water
drains properly from the exist hole.

Good luck on your "dash assault".

Paul
Vin 10944

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ed & Roxie Cohen" <rdcejc@...> wrote:

> Can anyone give me the procedure for removing the lower evaporator
casing.
> I am getting water inside the car and have cleaned out the drain tube
> several times.  I think there is gunk inside that is clogging the
tube and
> want to clean it out.
>
> Thanks
>
> ED           6944