[DML] Re: Coil in Fuel Line to Prevent Collapse?

[DML] Re: Coil in Fuel Line to Prevent Collapse?

The article is in the Technical Library on the DMCNews website with
the full instructions.

I wrote it with the help of input from others. But I can tell you
now that in the long term it isn't the best solution. But there is a
better one.

The problem with the spring is that while it will snake around
through the hose, it will also begin to try and straighten that hose
out. And with the hose material being so soft, it WILL eventually
tear the hose at the 90° angle in the hose, right where it connects
to the bottom of the fuel pump. Sure, you may not have the spring
sitting up inside of that bend, but the spring will push back
between the baffle and the pump, pinching that bend until it finally
tears. I don't know of it's the ethanol or MTBE additives (since
banned out west here because of California) that dissolve the rubber
components of the fuel tank, but it ate both my pick-up hose, boot,
and eventually cap around the fuel pump.

There is a better solution however than either the spring, or even
the OEM setup.

Using John Hervey's kit is ideal. But if you plan on doing any hard
cornering, you'll realize that you're going to need a solid bottom
on the new fuel baffle. I heard that John sells them in another
post, but a better solution is at the grocery store: A large Tuna
can.

Remove label, wash the can thouroughly, drill a hole on the bottom
of the can to mount it to the bolt inside of the fuel tank, and then
drill small holes around the bottom sides of the can (use your OEM
baffle as a template). That's all you've got to do to make your
custom baffle.

Just mount the new baffle inside of the tank, and drop in the new
fuel pump with the hose and pickup screen right on the end of it,
and be done with it all. Just in case you ever need to replace that
fuel pump again (by getting rid of the collapsing hose you'll
greatly increase it's lifespan), you just have to drop the new pump
in, and not worry about twisting or kinking any pick-up hoses ever
again. In fact, you could easily change out a new fuel pump in low-
light conditions.

And just incase you're put-off by the idea of using a tuna can
inside your car, just rember that Ford uses coffee and juice cans in
their vacuum systems on their vehicles for years (look under your
hood if you don't believe me).

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

p.s. A big thanks to whomever came up with the idea of the Tuna can-
baffle. I read this on a DeLorean message board a couple of years
back, but I cannot remember whom to give credit to for this idea.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Shannon" <birdwells@...> wrote:

> This past weekend I was on a road rallye. After about an hour of
> driving, my car acted like it was having problem getting gas - it
> started missing. I suddenly remembered this had happened years ago
> after a parade. I think the problem is the gas tank getting hot
and the
> pickup line collapsing because of the heat. I had half a tank of
gas
> but I stopped and filled up anyway. The problem went away. I
remember
> somebody coming up with an idea of inserting a coil inside the
fuel
> line to keep it from collapsing. Can someone post the information
on
> that again - the type and length of coil and installation
instructions?
> I suppose the heat shield would work too but I'd like to try the
coil.

> Shannon
> VIN 16113

<*> Your email settings: