[DML] Re: Delorean Reference

I'm sure that there will be other responses, but no, Barris did NOT
build the Time Machine for Universal Studios. He never even touched
the car. Even on the BTTF DVD it states that Barris did NOT build the
BTTF car, yet he continues to make the claim. And since there is no
one with the legal power to stop him, he continues doing so.

Barris claims he's built lots of cars that he hasn't. In fact, some of
the most famous "Kustoms" he has were not built by him at all, but
rather his deceased brother. Barris is known to go to movie studios
and license movie cars that the studios are not actively
marketing/profiting from, such as the BTTF franchise. He in turn
licenses products based off these cars, and then takes in the profits
himself. Not that there is anything wrong with that, except he starts
passing off bogus cars as the real thing, and makes false claims that
he in fact built them.

He's been sued in court for other fraudulent cars as well. Years ago
some car collector bought was he thought was one of the original
Batmobiles from the 1960's TV show. Turned out it was a clone car
built from a 1973 Toronado and couldn't possibly have been an original
car. The guy sued the museum, but it turned out they had been lied to
by Barris who lied about in the car in the paperwork. The guy won.

Another myth is that the "Black Beauty" from the Green Hornet was
built by Barris: FALSE again!
http://katoman.com/green%20hornet%20folder/black_beauty1.htm

On this site too you'll even see that he shows that the Monkee's GTO
wasn't built by him either. And what's interesting is that since it's
begun to come to light that he is in fact NOT responsible for these
cars, I've now noticed that he's taken them off of his website. I'm
sure however that if you check out archive.org, go back and you can
see them all there.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...>
wrote:

> It's amazing the places references to the Delorean pop up. My son
gets
> RC Driver magazine. In November's issue there is an interview with
> George Barris. In it he claims to have built the Delorean Time
> Machine. Not the first time I have heard him claim that but I always
> believed Universal jobbed it out to someone else. I guess it is easy
> to believe because of all of the other movie cars he has been
involved
> with.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757