[DML] Re: DeLorean among Top 10 KBB Orphan Collector Cars

[DML] Re: DeLorean among Top 10 KBB Orphan Collector Cars

Compare KBB vs NADA, and you'll see HUGE variations in pricing. Not
just with collector cars, but current one's as well. IMO, NADA is
probably a more honest guide to go by. Not just because they tend to
list higher values, but from what I've seen comparing past vehicles
I've owned, the price gap between "Trade-In" vs "Retail" is narrower
and far more realistic. Same with their "Retail" vs. "Private Sale"
prices as well. Back a couple of years ago, I saw price variations on
my old Ford Explorer with KBB placing $2K LESS value on the vehicle,
but $1K or so MORE for Retail than NADA.

If you're looking for realistic prices on regular used or classic
cars, NADA is better. It almost seems as though dealerships use NADA
to more accuratly buy and sell vehicles, but use the KBB prices to
hype how much of a *discount* they're passing on to you.

DeLorean specific here, KBB's fortay has never been classic vehicles
anyway. But you also must take into consideration that NADA also
specifies that vehicles that have been refurbished by DMCH can demand
that 30% value increase. That's how they figured that higher value.

As for speculation, who knows where this will all end up. There might
not be any increase at all. There could possibly be a HUGE increase in
values if the car suddenly comes into high demand, and due to lack of
availability for the new cars (waiting list or price wise), used
DeLoreans for sale might fill that void and increase as the number for
sale become more scarce.

And hey, DeLorean value could even drop significantly. Same senario as
above, but now throw into the mix uneducated buyers buying up quarter-
century old cars that border on being derilect because they've been
wasting away in storage. People buy them, they don't work right, they
get in over their heads financially trying to repair these cars...
Next thing you know, we've got a new stigma to fight off from another
run of bad PR for the marque.

Not trying to be confrontational here, but I am trying to be realistic
as to some worst-case senarios that no one may even have thought of.
It's happend before, and history will just repeat itself. We in turn
should prepare our clubs to be active for a new wave of owners that we
will be welcoming in within the next comming year. I promise you we'll
see an influx of new problem cars that will be appearing. First it was
the beaters that were either worn out, or abandoned. All in various
stages of disrepair or decay. They started appearing in the mid-90's,
and are all but gone having been either restored, or parted out. Next
we'll see a nice little surge of low-mileage "collector cars" that
have been hoarded away the past couple of decades. People are going to
buy them not knowing what they're getting into, basing their value and
unfortunetly their reliability on NADA guides and cosmetics alone.
Don't be fooled. There are still a large number of "garage queens" out
there that patient people have been holding onto all these years,
ready to sell as both the cars enter into a new era of renewed
interest, and as the owners now need cash for retirement.

DeLorean prices will increase slowly as the new cars are built. If
they're a hit, we'll see another increase, but I promise you it will
be offset buy a flood of stored cars that will have huge repair bills.
And all it will take is some bad PR to drive prices down. Because this
ultimately is going to be an "Us vs. Them" comparison. There is a good
chance that the new cars will not be the same as the existing ones,
either realisticly or only percieved. (comparing the cars by VIN) "S"
cars (mfg in UK) values could very well be sacrficed to boost the
value of the new "1" cars (mfg in USA) unintentionally if bad press
came out. Ie: some reporter writes a story that gets carried praising
the new "1" cars as being what the "S" cars should have been, and
reccomends staying away from our old Used cars because of how
problematic they are/were/have become with age."

Wait until that tide clears, and will see just where we stand.

In the mean time, enjoy your DeLorean, and don't even think about it's
future value. I don't care if it's a Hyundai or a Maybach, or a Yugo
vs. a Rolls Royce: A car's price should never reflect how fun it is to
drive or own. Be it priced out of one's means, or socialy beaneath
someone. Because after all, how much would you be willing to pay for
that perfect car? Maybe some Billionares like Ingvar Kamprad and
Warren Buffet chose to drive their "regular" Volvo 240 GL and Lincoln
Town car respectively, not so much because they're frugal, but because
they just really enjoy them?

Believe me, the ultimate luxury isn't cupholders, heated leather
seats, fine wood trim interiors, high displacement engines, hand-built
craftsmanship, or GPS navigation. It's being happy. And while it may
be my perception only, the DeLorean is the perfect car. No engineer or
marketing study group could ever have concieved, let alone executed a
better car to make me happy.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ken Baker" <kenbaker1265@...> wrote:

> Its interesting that KBB rates a DeLoreans value at $26,000 while
NADA
> rates and above average DMC refurbished car at over $41,000. A huge
> variation! I have found that to have a truly good DeLorean both
> cosmetically and mechanically with all of the updates one needs to
> spend in the mid $30,000 range. At any rate, its good to see a
posative
> writeup and the values on the upswing. I bet this time next year
there
> will be a 5-10% increase over todays values.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)