[DML] MADDENING speedometer problem

You've seen me post on this before.  Here goes again... mostly out of
frustration...

- For years I've had this problem and have tried many different fixes &
replacements
- When speed gets to ~45 the speedo jumps up to 55'ish and bounces around.
Speed generally reads ~+10mph above 45
- Correct cable bracket
- Newer & correct lower cable
- Cleaned and lubed cables
- Lubed angle drive
- new angle drive (reacts same as earlier ones)
- No kinks, bends or bad speedo cables
- Square hole in new dust cap
- No sign of cable spinning in dust cap
- Other ends look good
- Pressure applied to dust cap to prevent spinning on hub/wheel
- If spinning, it returns to same spot on wheel ( I marked both to see if
spinning)
- Cut off top of dust cap since angle drive cable is slightly long causing
it to flex when the cap is applied
- Because the end is open, I can see that the cable end is fully seated in
the dust cap

Here is the weird part ... when I put a drill on the angle drive cable at
the axle, the speedo is smooth and steady.  It has to be the dust cap
spinning.  But there is no sign of spinning and I've used various techniques
to prevent dust cap spin.

Nick

BTW ... early angle drive failures may be related to the long cable length.
When the yellow dust cap is applied it pushed in the cable possible causing
cable flex and excess pressure at he other end.  If anyone wants to comment
on this or has experience, let's start a separate thread.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:31 AM

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional