[DML] Re: EFI? Megasquirt?

K-Jet has several achilles heels:

- Vacuum leaks. The system has a myriad of possible locations, some of
which are very difficult to access & diagnose. When I ran it I never
could get the U pipes to properly seal to the intake rails with those
paper thin gaskets (I ultimately ended up making thick ones from bulk
material). I never got a satisfactory seal with O rings between the U
pipes and the throttle plates either. And those are just the vacuum
leaks I could see....

- Complex fuel enrichment. In North American trim the system has too
many off idle fuel enrichment mechanisms (each of which has its own
switch or thermister -- two possible failure points apiece.

- Expense. Replacement parts are rather costly. And there are a lot of
K-Jet parts to replace.

- Multiple metering points. This is actually a failure point shared
with EFI (multiport, not throttle body). It is quite possible
(likely?) for K-Jet to meter fuel inequally among the cylinders.

- Appearance. K-Jet requires a lot of plumbing and wiring, which tends
to clutter the engine compartment.

I think those who convert to EFI do their own mechanic'ing, so finding
someone to work on it isn't a concern. They don't seem concerned about
subsequent owners or resale values either. It is very much an
immediate engineering challenge for their benefit alone.

Of course not every owner should rush out and convert his or her DeLo
(not every owner is capable, nor would he or she even want to). But
for those so inclined we have to give them latitude. As I've stated
before, *THEIR* names are on their titles. Some conversions will be
quite successful, and some will be scrooged royally -- that's the
price of freedom. Just remember: the number of owners converting their
cars will be extremely small (probably less than 1%). There are so
many DeLoreans in circulation, their loss of originality poses no
threat to the marque. Try to appreciate them for entertainment or
curiosity if nothing else. I certainly wouldn't get upset or worry
about them.

In my case conversion wasn't optional. Fortunately I am quite pleased
with the results. Effort, time, and money invested were very minimal
(less than a single K-Jet component or two). Complexity is definitely
reduced. And there's really no need for future service (my particular
carb doesn't even have moving parts). Of course I have the same
tune-up requirements as everyone else, but access is so greatly
improved that changing whatever is an exercise of ease.

Bill Robertson
#5939 (converted)

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...> wrote:
>
> For all of the effort, time, and money spent on these kinds of
> conversions this could all be better spent getting the J-Jet running
> well. Once you finish these kinds of modifacations who can service it?
> The final outcome is in many ways determined by the competance of the
> installer. Most who do it have never done one and this is the FIRST
> ONE!!!! It will not make the car more saleable or worth more, it will
> not produce much in the way of added performance, and depending on how
> good a job the insaller did it won't make the drivability any better
> (probably worse, especially the cold drivability). About the only
> significant improvement *might* be slightly better gas mileage. It
> will certainly be a lot more complicated! Many do not give enough
> credit to the K-Jet. It is a relatively reliable and rugged system. It
> does age and some parts need to be replaced over time and it is very
> susceptable to dirt. The biggest problem it has is people that work on
> it and do not understand how to set it up and get it working properly.
> Once set up right and running properly it is very efficient and
> robust. Unless you are going to make a lot of changes to the stock
> motor, staying with the K-Jet makes a lot of sense.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional