[DML] Re: Advice on AC lines

Your AC guy is correct if the system has been empty for an extended
period - not just a winter with a properly charged system, but the
system idle for several years and no charge in the system. Air and
moisture in the system will rot the hoses and lack of circulating
some oil will allow the seals including the ones in the compressor to
dry and rot. If you are in Arizona you might get lucky - in Florida
or any other place where humidity can get to extremes - you're
probably in trouble. Moisture on the inside of an AC system can
corrode the metal too. I have seen condensers destroyed from the
inside out because of moisture in the system. An idle open system
requires many new parts to be reliable including a compressor
replacement.

If the system has been functional for 25 years and you just want to
put in new refrigerant and oil - I wouldn't be too concerned - just
do it.

You didn't mention the compressor. If you are not replacing the
compressor - at least drain the oil from it and put in new.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kevin Heller <howdyhoho@...> wrote:

> Group,
>
> I'm cracking open the emptied AC system tonight to
> flush the lines in preparation for a new AC
> accumulator, orifice, and new refrigerant. My AC man
> tells me I should replace the hoses in the system
> while I'm at it since the car is 25+ years old and the
> lines may be deteriorating from the inside (AKA,
> "Black Death" contaminating the refrigerant.)
>
> Is this sound advice? Are there many drivers out there
> who are still running the original AC lines and aren't
> having problems? If I swab the inside of a hose with a
> cotton swab will I be able to judge/see if the line is
> deteriorating?
>
> Thanks in advance for the insight.
>
> -Kevin
> VIN 2234

someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)