[DML] Re: Exhaust System Options

I'm running a home brewed dual exhaust setup. Is not engineered to the
spec's of Hervey's/DMC's/Martin's etc, but cost a *LOT* less (about
$150). I simply mated stainless flex tubing to the stock manifolds,
looped it around the drive axles, mounted the mufflers vertically to
raise the exhaust stream back to stock height, then shot it out the
rear with some stainless rigid tubing. The mufflers are carbon because
I couldn't find stainless ones to fit, but everything else is
stainless, including the studs & nuts used to mate the flex tubing to
the original manifolds. Each side is 2" ID. If you look closely you'll
see that my manifolds are also held to the block with stainless studs
& nuts.

I've uploaded some pics to #5939's photo album.

Obviously this setup was not engineered for optimal performance (it
was engineered to get rid of that stupid crossover pipe and catalytic
converter), but it must yield some performance advantages because I
out accelerate stock Deloreans. You can feel my exhaust streams from
25 feet behind the car.

Exhaust tone is lower & louder outside the vehicle, but I can't tell
much difference from the cockpit. Surely interior noise has gone up
(you can't get louder outside without some impact inside), but it
isn't particularly notable or objectionable. My aftermarket stereo is
dying, but I can hear its last gasps just fine.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "dadoc2791" <gekko@...> wrote:
>
> Since my '81 D is also past that WA 25-year milestone where
> emissions testing is no longer required, I'm wondering if there's an
> exhaust option that has been found to make a significant difference
> in an otherwise stock PRV.
>
> I've done some fiddling with the intake, replacing the stock air
> filter and box with a free-flow cold air system and that's helped
> the little D's spunkiness a little but I'm looking for first-hand
> experience with other bolt-on-no-other-major-changes alterations
> that are worth the cost.
>
> Has anyone coughed up the $Grand or so for John Hervey's stainless
> steel headers/mufflers system and with what result?  Not complaining
> about the price, it's obviously a costly item to construct, but I'm
> wanting to know if the change in performance is really worth the
> investment?  How about the noise level?  I've tried all 3 of
> his .mpg links on the website to check out the sound but they have
> led me to dead ends so I don't know what the difference is in noise
> level.  I really enjoy the quiet cabin of my D.  I am willing to
> sacrafice some noise level for performance if I have to, but don't
> want to need another amp to be able to hear the stereo.
>
> Any info happily welcomed.
>
> Thanx,
>
> Craig Werner
> 07181