[DML] Re: Clarification: DeLorean Spark Advance

[DML] Re: Clarification: DeLorean Spark Advance

The weights inside the distributer for the mechanical advance both
work. You are correct that there is only 1 spring but it connects to
the central shaft that the rotor is on. That one spring is all that is
needed. You should see 20 degrees of mechanical advance if it is
operating properly. The other 20 degrees is vacuum for a total advance
of 40 (if everything is working right of course!). BTW the weights are
slightly different but the one spring works both of them. Adding
another spring will only delay the full mechanical advance. Generally
you want it all in as fast as the motor can take it for maximum
performance.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@...> wrote:

> Before I get flamed out of existence, let me clarify DeLorean spark
> advance relative to its Volvo counterpart:
>
> The DeLorean ignition distributor has one centrifugal counterweight
> disabled. Otherwise it appears to be identical to Volvo F Series
> (mechanical advance spec's are one half Volvo's).
>
> To compensate, DeLo runs full manifold vacuum to the spark advance
> diaphragm. Of course this makes the engine extremely difficult to
> start and risks predetonation when the throttle plates are closed (max
> vacuum), so they stick a microswitch under the throttle plate linkage
> to operate a solenoid that cuts off vacuum spark advance when the
> plates are closed.
>
> And of course base ignition time is advanced 3 degrees before Volvo.
>
> In contrast, Volvo runs ported vacuum (same port as the purge signal
> to the charcoal canister) to the spark advance diaphragm. No
> microswitch or solenoid. Not only is this a much cleaner and simpler
> installation, but by virtue of having both counterweights active it
> actually yields more spark advance at higher RPM's (minimum vacuum),
> which is when you need it most.
>
> The whole DeLorean setup appears designed to maximize fuel burn at low
> RPM's, such as stuck in California traffic, not yield better
performance.

> As I understand it the DeLorean distributor does have its missing
> counterwight inside -- it just isn't connected to the rotor hub. If
> the missing spring were replaced it should perform like a Volvo
> distributor (DeLo mechanical spec's are one half Volvo's). In such a
> state vacuum advance could then be attached directly to one of the
> throttle plate ports rather than the driver's intake rail. Otherwise,
> owners are stuck with DMC's rather convoluted setup.
>
> FWIW: I'm running a fully functional distributor and find performance
> to be quite invigorating.
>
> Bill Robertson

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional