[DML] Update on Bad Idle

A little history. Dave Dellman bought a Delorean from P J Grady. It
was formally Dick Ryan's car. When Dick had it, the car had the Island
Twin Turbo kit. Rob took the turbos off because the car was running
terrible. Dave bought the car and it ran but the idle was crummy. He
did a lot to fix it but what finally calmed it down was inserting a
resistance (the famous 2700 ohms) into the pick-up lead. He had an
open offer of $100 to anyone who could fix it. It turned out to be the
distributer. I lent him one and he sent me the one out of the car. I
disassembled it and here is the update which will explain why the car
would not idle properly: (refer to M:01:01 to follow the #'s)

The 3 screws #11 holding the pick-up coil #12 to the plate #17 were
loose so the coil was not firmly held in place.

The lower retaining clip #10 which positions the poles #8 was not in
it's groove but lower on the shaft so the pole piece was not at the
right height.

The pole piece #8 did not have the right gaps between it and the plate #17

The heads of the 3 phillips head screws holding the plate #17 in place
were stripped (but they WERE tight!)

The pick-up coil had written on it in marker 6/26/05 or 95, I'am not
sure of the year.

Dick did mention the coil went bad and had to be replaced.

If this is the origional distributer off the car then it *should* have
been modified to limit the mechanical advance when the Island Turbo
kit was installed. It was NOT.

BTW the turbos were bad, the oil seals were blown.

The moral here is if the distributer is not assembled and gapped
properly then it can contribute to poor idle quality. It should be
suspect especially if the pick-up coil was ever replaced. This is a
"hidden" area but very important. To get the motor to idle properly
you have to get everything set up just right. For those of you that
have idle quality issues and have tried everything, check the distributer.
David Teitelbaum

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: