Re: [DML] Re: New Delorean production....

Re: [DML] Re: New Delorean production....

Lets get this right shall we.

The Original Europa  made from 1966-1975 used BOTH a
Renault or Lotus-Ford Twin Cam during there production
run. These were BASED on Ford's Kent engines.  Lotus
did all of the development work.

The BABY Elan is the old 2 seater Elan made from
1962-1975.  They had  Lotus-Ford Twin Cam engines.
These were BASED on Ford's Kent engines.  Lotus did
all of the development work.

The Elan M100 and the Elan S2 were made from
1989-1995.  These had an Isuzu Engine in both Normal
And Turbocharged Forms.  Lotus did all of the Engine
Management and turbo work on these cars.

The Esprit has ALWAYS had a Lotus Engine in it.  From
the S1 with the Lotus 907 4 cylinder engine previously
used in the Jensen Healey, through to the the Early
Turbos that had the 910 engine, The SE with the 910 S
charge cooled engine, The GT3 with the 920 and then
the V8 with the 918 V8.

It is said that when Vauxhall unveiled its new
slant-four engine at the 1966 Earls Court Motor Show
its bore centers were exactly the same as those
proposed by Lotus for their new all-alloy engine.
Colin Chapman immediately negotiated a deal with
Vauxhall to buy some of their cast-iron blocks so that
development of Lotus? own aluminum 907 engine could be
sped up.

The design became the basis for the Lotus 2.0 and 2.2
engines used in a wide variety of sports cars, but
while the basic block was copied almost unchanged, it
was cast in aluminium alloy instead of iron, which
made it considerably lighter. The Lotus engine also
used a different cylinder head of light alloy,
featuring double overhead camshafts and four valves
per cylinder. So only the BLOCK was copied.

As For the Elise, Lotus Used the Rover K18 engine in
the Elise untill the S2 111R in 2005.  The reason for
the change was because of Rover going out of business
and the need for lotus to get into the US market.
Lotus decided to use the all-aluminium 189 hp (141 kW)
Toyota engine with a Yamaha designed twin-cam head
offering variable valve timing on both intake an
exhaust valvetrain.

Dan

1997 Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise

--- Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One small point: Until the V8, Lotus used someone
> else's engine in all
> their cars, albeit often modified. Not just the
> Esprit - The Europa had
> a Renault engine, the baby Elan had an Isuzu engine,
> the Elise started
> with a Rover engine and now has a Toyota lump etc...
>
> BTW also your point about the suspension being
> adjustable - we're only
> taking toe, castor and camber which would need to be
> adjustable to suit
> racing. The DeLorean wasn't meant to be raced and
> was mass produced, so
> a non-adjustable setup made sense IMO.
>
> Martin
>

> content22207 wrote:
>
> > Perhaps nowhere is this difference clearer
> > than the choice of powerplant (never mind the fact
> that DMC never
> > produced a proprietary engine).

> removed]

<*> Your email settings: