RE: [DML] Delorean Museum is coming to life! We need your memorabilia f

RE: [DML] Delorean Museum is coming to life! We need your memorabilia for our exhibit!

The location of the museum is subject to the golden rule, the guy with
the gold, makes the rules.  Debating the locations of the museum, while
fun, won't get it located.  But we can do things to keep the effort
moving forward.

Definitely, let these guys know what you have.  It may seem minor, but
it may be a small missing piece in a really great story...

First the artifacts have to be secured, and the stories preserved.  In
the end its the great stories that will make the museum, even more than
the artifacts.  Henry Ford is celebrated because of his spirit, and his
accomplishments.  We are talking JDZ here, the man has no shortage of
spirit or accomplishments.  Proto 1 would be a great addition to the
museum, but its the story that it tells that makes it a valuable
artifact.

Having a collection helps shape the direction of the museum and its
message.  Once the collection exists, then its time to raise $ - a great
collection and a strong vision are key to that.  The location of the
museum will have a lot to do with where the $ comes from.  If the city
of Detroit decides to give matching funds or tax credits, that will go a
long way toward getting it there.  If James Espey has a rich uncle in
Rhode Island, it may go there.  The location will not be chosen by
popular vote, and perhaps not even by logic.

We can all do the museum, wherever it lands, a great service by helping
to find the opportunities that may move things forward.  Locating
artifacts, preserving stories, looking for a business opportunity or a
tax credit that might help the museum committee, are things we can all
be doing.

I imagine Steven at BTTF.com is already working to try to save some
artifacts from Universal.  While not as unique as items related to John
and the company, they are some of the few "new" artifacts that may
become available, and risk being destroyed if not.  If I can help with
this, I will.

How many Tax Attorneys are on this list?  More than 1 I'll bet.  Who has
a spouse that is involved with Grant Writing or professional
fundraising?  Who works for a trucking company and may be able to help
with logistics?  If Universal were to say that Houston could have a
complete fiberglass ride vehicle from the ride, but they need to get it
off the lot on the 27th and it needs to find its way to a warehouse Ken
has in Ohio, having a guy with a trucking company on their list may
become a really big deal.  And hey, Mr. Trucking guy - ask your
accountant if its tax deductible...

Who among us has a note from John to a supplier, or a pay stub from his
early days at GM?  Not many.  If you do, make sure the Museum Committee
knows you have it, even if your not willing or ready to donate it, yet.
The rest of us may have more eclectic things to contribute.  If you do,
or think you might, let them know.

Everyone will want to help during the last month before opening, but the
make or break time is everything before then.  Building any museum is
really hard work, building a really great one is worth the effort.

Tom
10902
(Building Museums pays for my Delorean Habit)

________________________________

From: Piszar
Subject: Re: [DML] DeLorean Museum is coming to life! We need your
memorabilia for our exhibit!
>From a historical standpoint that's true, and I would love to have it
in Detroit. However reality must be factored in and unless someone
has a pile of money that they would love to throw at this for MI or
NJ, the business reality is that DMC HQ is in Houston.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmcnews%40yahoogroups.com> , Marc
Levy <malevy_nj@...> wrote:

> Physical Location.. You make a good point.
>
> What is the significance of putting a DeLorean museum
> in Texas, or Colorado? No disrespect, but the
> location should have some relationship to the history.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)