Re: [DML] Sputtering when cold

I don't have a solution for you, but I do have the same problem.

For me, I turn the key, and the car comes on within a few seconds.
However, it idles a bit rough and sputters.  If I give it a little
gas while in Park, it sputters and threatens to stall; if I step hard
on the gas, it will stall.  If I put it in Drive, it won't roll
forward on its own.  After a few seconds of giving it light amounts
of gas, it will rev up and start working better, and if in Drive it
will start to crawl forward as you'd expect.  If I bring the car to a
stop, it'll again sputter when I next press the gas, but then it will
rev and start working normally again.  But after I've driven down the
street -- even just 1/4 mile or so to the stop sign at the end of the
road -- it works just fine.

If I turn the car on again within an hour or two, it's mostly fine,
but the idle is still rough and it sounds like it wants to stall if I
don't keep giving it a little more gas.  If I don't run it until the
next day, I'll have to go through this all over again.

I know I have a blown head gasket (white foam is clearly visible in
the oil fill area, and the engine gets too hot even though the
cooling system is working properly), but I don't know if that's related.

-- Joe

> When my car sits for more than a few hours, when I start it, it turns
> over for a few seconds. Then after the start, it sputters for a while.
> Even if I give it gas, it sputters for a few seconds. Then it starts
> running ok.  If I try to start it again within a few hours of running,
> it starts ok.
>
> Any ideas what's going on? A mechanic told me something dripping on
> something causing build up yada yada I don't remember exactly.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)